cleaning a strad with a trigger

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 9, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    alright so i wont be cleaning my strad for a while but before the concert we have coming up i want to give it a bath or some sort of deep cleaning. There is a trigger on the first valve and i dont know how to get the slide off. How do i go about cleaning that slide? i have cleaned my other trumpet all the time but it doesnt have this first valve slide trigger. Also any extra supplies i should get, i've never had a silver plated trumpet so id like to kno how to take care of it properly

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Maas silver polish to remove any accumilated tarnish. There are fabric bags that slip over the horn that dramatically reduce that tarnish accumilation and lengthen the time between the needed use of silver polish. A silicone rag from the sporting goods store will also help to seal the silver from that tarnish,( oxydation ).

OLDLOU>>

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a Bach with a trigger, and I always remove the small screw that attaches the rod to the slide to remove the slide. Be careful if you do this and hold just enough pressure on the trigger to take the force off the screw during removal and reassembly. Don't let the screw fly off and lose it!

4. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    I know this is a bit out of the topic but my strad also has a trigger but the spring has snapped on one side the it is not very useful anymore because it does not return to its spot quickly. Any suggestions on where I could buy a new spring or take it to get repaired.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Contact the factory for a replacement spring.

OLDLOU>>

6. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My "72" used to have a trigger on it until I had some major work done to it. Aside from the bell & lead pipe change I had a saddle put on the 1st slide. I personally didn't like that trigger so that's why I changed.

BUT....when I did have it on the trumpet I successfully bathed it numerous times. I NEVER too the screw with the spring off, though!! I always took only the bar off. IMHO...if you try to take the screw/spring off you're asking for a world of hurt!!! I tried to change the spit valve spring myself ONE TIME!!! That's all it took for me to realize that I didn't have a CLUE about what I was doing!! My "motto" with something like that is...if it ain't broke...don't fix it!! :cool:

7. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Any reputable repair shop should be able to replace your spring with no problem. There HAS to be one in your city/town or close to it. Check there 1st.