cleaning agent...better choice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 10, 2009.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    RowuK,

Are you suggesting I might leave my horns in the dish rack, hope my wife doesn't notice, and cleans them as good as the plates? Seriously though, good advice about dishwashing liquids. Palmolive is the standard, though I think that Dawn (with a stronger degreasing) formula might be even better. One of the posters seemed concerned about the color of the dishwashing soap. I think that is a nonissue. Whatever they are using to color it isn't likely to even be detectable after dilution in water.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I must be 'the odd man out'. I use Pine-Sol blue for my horn cleaning duties. I love the scent, as well as the fine cleaning job that it does.

OLDLOU>>

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Simple Green cleans great and has no detergent.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    After seeing the damage that the dishwasher does to knives, I think that it is not the right place for the horn. It also would not clean the inside very well. Nope, the sink full of hot water, dishwashing liquid and a good bore brush is all that I need!

Here is the safety info on Ultra Dawn Blue:
    Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

Old Lou,
    this link definitely makes me hesitant to do what you do! Heat, sparks and open flame sound like how I play.................
    Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

5. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, Old Lou. How long do you soak them? Any problems with silver, lacquer, or gold? I should have thought about Pine Sol as we use it as a regular cleaner for other things. It is alkaline, so it does a great job of handling protein buildup.

6. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Rowak -was just joking. One should NEVER put a horn in the dishwasher. It could really cause trouble. I was talking hand washing it in the sink. Appreciate the info on Dawn. It has to make you feel it is pretty safe -if swallowed it says drink a glass of water. I was surprised to see 3% ethanol (alcohol).

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've been using Dawn for 30 years now and it works excellently, when accompanied by good bore brushes. It seems to be the best grease cutter of all the commercial dish detergents, from my experience.

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ditto on using Simple Green. I have been using it for over a year with great results. It really cleans the valves and valve casing of residue.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've done my own cheap Vulgano version of a chemical clean using a tiny amount of vitamin C powder disolved in lukewarm water. A B.E.R.P. in the reciever to seal it off, the instrument hung over the utility sink overnight using some heavy duty rubber bands (trumpets are pricey!). Why vitamin C? It is slightly acidic, will disolve the same stuff as vinegar without the verdigris residue (nasty, nasty stuff) but doesn't attack brass or oils and grease. The ugly green film should wash out in the rinse the next morning. Another tiny amount of baking soda mixed with lukewarm water run through the instrument will kill the acid, and a mega-rinse of plain 'ol lukewarm water will remove that.

Cheap, safe, and effective.

10. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Vitamin C and rubber bands. Never heard of that combination. However, if it works and produces the desired results enter it as another solution to cleaning brass instruments.

In summary this thread has produced many different proposals and "cocktails", many of which should only be used by experienced users and definately not the beginning musician. Everything from using a CLR solution (which I do only ONCE each year), vinegar solutions, and of course the basic standby of "giving a bath" in a tub with dish detergent which should be done bi-monthly anyway. However, as it all comes out in the "wash" (play on words), the care and cleaning of one's instrument will ultimately result in the function of the instrument. A trumpet that has not been cared for and valves that are neglected will reflect as much when being played. Conversely a trumpet, even the beginner trumpet, that is taken care of will respond and play well.

Some of my students shake their heads after practice when I swab out my lead pipe and tuning slide. My 40 year old trumpet looks like it just came off the shelf (except for a few minor dings and scratches).

I would like to recommend a product that I have come to find to be excellent in cleaning trumpets and easy on the brass. HW Brass-Saver. Quoting from the package: " The HW Brass Saver brush is a revolutionary concept. Its unique design contains no metal and features a special blend of soft but aggressive fibers. Use it wet or dry to scrub clean the inside of your instrument without damaging it." H.W. Products, Inc.

It has a unique swab that is great for cleaning out the leadpipe and tuning slide quickly. Just a suggestion I thought I would pass along. I have long since gotten rid of my wire cleaning brushes. Also at the end of each week I run a small swab dampened with valve oil through my leadpipe (one that I made 2" x 2").

Wishing you all a great 2010...and our next Super Bowl Champions...The Indianapolis Colts!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010