cleaning agent...better choice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 10, 2009.

1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Funny you mention that, since I just received mine on Saturday through Amazon. Since my horns have been hibernating for 25 years, they definitely needed a good cleaning. My old wire brushes are now history.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    Simple Green. I've used it for years in a warm (not hot) bath and let it soak for 15 -20 minutes or until the water cools. Rinse is easy. One thing I've come across recently is after it is dry, I wipe it down with a micro-fiber cloth that has hit the market of late. It looks as if you put it on a buffer. Every now and then I just wipe it down to get the finger prints off. Good stuff!

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Rick, I totally agree. I, like you, have been using Simple Green for years. It is an excellent grease and grim cutter and makes the valves like new. The key is not to be stingy with the solution. I usually use it straight and spray the horn liberally. I like you suggestion with the micro cloth (thank you) and will give it a try. I am surprised that more trumpeters on Trumpetmaster do not use Simple Green or something similar.

4. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    I've been using Ivory Soap for a few years now and pretty satisfied with it; if I want a deeper clean I take it to the shop. I was recommended the ivory soap because it is softer than normal dish soap so it's not as likely to damage the silver plating (although keep in mind the possibility of that is already really really low). I know from using it for a few years that it doesn't leave a film on it