Cleaning CDs

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by BachMan, Jan 6, 2004.

1. BachMan

BachMan Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2003
    I came across some CDs I had misplaced a long time ago today.

Some have a very thick "caked on" layer of dust.

I'm afraid one even has a coffe stain :oops: . How can I clean the playing surface of these discs?

A soft damp cloth?

Windex?

I have no idea..... Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in Advance

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I would use warm water with detergent....then rinse with more warm water and dry with a micro-fiber cloth. You get those at your friendly local optometrist...they're used for (primarily) plastic lenses on your glasses.

You could also purchase an "over the counter" cleaning kit for CDs.

I've even had some success at removing scratches from a CD by buffing them out with a very soft "grinding compound"....... TOOTHPASTE!

Just make sure that you wipe in a circular pattern and don't "polish" any more than necessary to get the CD player to track properly! (and it might be a dead loss in any case....but what have ya got to lose?)

3. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    First rinse off any loose/gross material with a light pressure sink sprayer, then soak as Tootsall mentioned, in a warm water & Dawn dishwashing soap. After soaking for 30-60 minutes, spray again any material from the surface, then, under water, use a micro fiber cloth to wipe from the center hole outwards (radially) to remove any last material, then rinse thoroughly and dry by wiping radially with the micro cloth.