Cleaning House

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bluegill, May 8, 2007.

1. bluegill

bluegill New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Manny,

I was just wondering what you do to clean your trumpet, and how often you do clean it. Thanks!

-Keith

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Funny you should ask...

...because my C trumpet is flipping filthy and needs cleaning, pronto! I can say the same for my Bb. I have many nstruments and it's a litle harder to keep track of which is clean, which isn't. I don't have a regular ceaning schedule but I can tell when they need cleaning because I start to miss notes when they're not in proper shape.

ML

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I think Manny just buys new ones when they get dirty. Here is a pretty good link for the more traditional and (much cheaper) conventional technique:

Trumpet Cleaning for Students

Cleaning the leadpipe frequently reduces the need to put the horn in the tub (or buy a new one). Bob Reeves makes a cool swab for that purpose. Keeping the mouthpiece clean helps too. There are some really cool and controversial voodoo techniques, but I won't get into those at the moment.

Have fun!

4. bluegill

bluegill New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah that's what I've been doing for the most part. To prove it, here's a plesant picture of what my trumpet left behind last night after a nice cleaning.

Attached Files:

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cool photo! You can use that to gross out viola players!

6. bluegill

bluegill New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Good idea! But you know, just looking at that picture and remembering how long it took me to clean that thing out makes me feel really glad i chose trumpet over tuba. Not that I ever doubted my choice, but it would suck to clean out a tuba.

7. PSH

PSH Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2007
    Minneapolis MN; Denton TX
    While I understand that there are people out there that are new to this and that may not know all of the terminology, I think my favorite line is "the valve casing is the hole where the valve was." :D

and keith, amen about the tuba man. where would you put one even? no way it'll fit in a bathtub...

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I tacked up a piece of paper in my office and when I clean a trumpet I write it down with the date.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We clean my sons' tuba in the shower. It is no worse than bathing a dog or cat. Makes about the same amount of mess too!

10. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Man, every time I clean my horn I lose a full step on my range and I start missing notes all over the map.....Hmmm, maybe I should clean it more often!