Cleaning & Maintenance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sometimes its just a lot of work.
    [​IMG]
    Clockwise from upper left: 1952 Blessing Super Artist, 2006 Blessing 100th Anniversary ML1, 2009 Blessing BTR-ML1, 1990 Blessing Artist flugelhorn.
    Jim

2. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Third valve slide exists of 2 pieces? Havn't seen that before, seems like a big advantage for cleaning in those sharp bends.
    Nice flugl btw :-)

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Jim. Very nice collection. Lots of work, but anything worth having is worth taking care of. Especially classic horns that have survived the rigors of time and use. Bravo. Best wishes.

4. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm envious what a beautiful collection. I would spend a lot of time cleaning and caring for those instruments if I owned them.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Kantza wrote:
    Yes, the third valve slide is in two pieces on both ML1s, and cleaning is certainly made easier thereby. Other attractive features of the ML1s include internally threaded top valve caps, Amado water keys positioned for fast easy one handed simultaneous operation, rugged high-quality build, and big mellow sound. They are nice trumpets. The flugel is simply a good solid basic instrument. It was a nice find.

larry tscharner wrote:
    Thank you, larry. You and I certainly agree that things worth having are worth taking care of. That 1952 Super Artist is a wonderful trumpet. It is in original lightly used condition and plays like a champ!

Sharvey wrote:
    Thank you, Sharvey. A lot of time needs to be spent caring for those instruments properly if they are used frequently. I am thinking about that very thing these days. The five other instruments I own were not pictured - not their turn to be cleaned. I am a serious trumpet player hobbyist, not a collector or pro. I am pondering over whether I truly have a place for all nine of them or if it is time to thin the herd.

Jim

6. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Ok now, lets take ALL the parts, put them in a big box, jumble 'em up really good, hand you the box, and let the fun begin.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Big Box Jumble

Brad-K wrote:
    Uh....thanks for the unusual idea, Brad-K, but I think I'll pass. I have more fun playing the instruments than I would have if immersed in a jumbled parts jigsaw puzzle.:roll:

Jim

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Tell me about the Super Artist? I had a chance to play one, I thought of a Committee right away.....Yes? Large bore? Big sound?

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A.N.A.,

I have had the Super Artist (SA) for a little over a year now. It was an ebay buy-it-now purchase. I saw it right after it was listed, affirmed that it was in fine shape with all original parts (except for one stop rod nut), and immediately bought it. I have had it chem cleaned and had wear parts replaced - that is it. It really didn't play well with modern mouthpieces. Insertion depth was too shallow and tapers did not match the receiver. There was no gap issue involved because, as I recently learned, the transition from receiver to lead-pipe is completely smooth. When I started using the old vintage Blessing mouthpieces I'd been using in a 1950 Blessing Standard, playability improved dramatically. I now play it with a Blessing 13.

I have never played a Committee. The SA is a .468" large bore and produces a big mellow sound when compared to my Strad 180S37 played with a Bach 3C, which produces a big, but brighter, sound. Both instruments are wonderfully responsive top to bottom and facilitate my efforts in building range equally well. Both instruments function without a hitch. The SA is a little quieter in operation compared to the Strad, which seems to be due to felt under finger buttons instead of rubber, but this difference does not mean much while playing. If you have any other questions about the SA, I will be happy to respond.

Jim