Cleaning method -- Please Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassGorilla, Jun 21, 2010.

1. BrassGorilla

BrassGorilla New Friend

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Alright so I'm kind of embarassed to post this but it really is important. I need to know what is the best method of cleaning a Bb trumpet and how often it should be cleaned. Brass, not silver plated btw, if that makes a difference. I could really use some advice on the subject.:oops:

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Tepid water with dishwashing detergent once a month. Scrub it out with a snake-brush. Don't get the felts in the valves wet.

Tom

3. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    To add to Vetpsychwars' comment...

Take out all the slides and valves. Do not, as he said wet the valve felts. Once a month is a little too often in my opinion. I usually bathe mine every 2 months.

Also don't be embarrassed to ask anything here. It's not like we all know everything, and we are here for the same reason: to communicate with fellow trumpeters and get answers and opinions about different topics. So if you have a question or just want to put something out there, don't be affraid! Welcome to Trumpet Master!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  4. BrassGorilla

BrassGorilla New Friend

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks to both of you! One last question: what is the consequence of getting the felts wet?

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

When wetted, the felts compress which causes the pistons to move to an improper setting. This misalignes the valve transfer ports to the mating tubes.

OLDLOU>>

6. BrassGorilla

BrassGorilla New Friend

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    oh... that is pretty serious.... thanks for the info!

7. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Yes, last time I was cleaning my Bach's valves I accidentally got them wet and I can see already that the valves don't align properly. I'm not playing it till I replace them...

No preoblem, glad to help.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you want to be really a?*l, you can disassemble the valves. Get three containers, or plastic bags, and label them 1,2, and 3. Then you can put the felts, washers, springs, top caps, buttons, and what ever else your horn has, into them so you can reassemble them correctly later.

I usually fill a pint glass until it is just over the tops of the pistons and soak them assembled that way. But the method in the first paragraph is handy if things need a more thorough cleaning, like when you get an old instrument.

A last caution, be careful about letting the valve pistons contact each other. One can scratch another that way.

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah if you just take the valve stuff out, keeping 'em all in order, then you can just wash the horn right?

My horn has this squishy white stuff, I guess where felt goes? It's weird.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Are the squishy white things circular with a hole in the middle? IOW, washer shaped? Felts or washer-shaped-items are used in the valves, and may be located in different spots depending on the valve design:1) in the underside the finger buttons (with a hole in the middle through which the valve stem goes), OR 2) in the top of the top valve cap (with a hole in the middle through which the valve stem and a raised portion of the cap goes),AND around the valve stem under the top cap (with same hole - duh).

Items may be felt, plastic, rubber, or other soft material - and serve two functions: preventing metal to metal contact and the clicking sound that makes, and adjusting the up/down position of the piston so the ports line up with the holes in the cylinder.