Cleaning Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Feb 25, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    How often you do guys clean your pieces. I try to do mine everyday, because I get alot of crusty dried dead skin on mine. Just wondering and starting a conversation.

2. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    Wipe mine after every use. Clean with water & brush around once a week.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I don't know...I think it's just my OCD kicking in. I hate playing on a mouthpiece if I think it's dirty. It makes me feel wierd and usually that mental block effects my performance.

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I throughly clean them once a week with soap and water and brush them out. Then I rinse them in alcohol. Every six months I give them a good brushing internally with a water based brass cleaner. It gets all of the crud off the walls and leaves a nice luster inside.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Once a week. Dishwashing liquid and a mouthpiece brush.

Do what ever turns you on. As long as you do not apply force, the mouthpiece is metal and can withstand a lot.

The only problem with things chronic is that they can mess your mind up by creating unnecessary dependencies. Those just eat up your brains calculation power and provide more excuses when things don't work.

6. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    That's true

7. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Prior to playing I look through the mouthpiece at a window or light from the shank end. If the backbore isn't gleaming like a brand new piece it gets a brushing out.

When I acquire a used piece and the backbore is dull and/or dark in addition to dirty, I'll put some toothpaste on the mouthpiece brush to remove the tarnish and crud.

I also keep old pill vials around that perfectly fit my mouthpieces, which work great for soakings in alcohol or Listerine.

I'm very fussy about the maintenance on my horns; you simply cannot play your best if your equipment isn't in optimal condition. You'd think a snake, mouthpiece brush, and quality slide lube would be included with every new horn, in addition to a bottle of valve oil.

8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Ray Vasquez advised us to use toothpaste on your pieces. I've been using that for a while. What benefits does alcohol have on the piece? Does it cleanse the piece of something toothpaste can't?

9. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I try to clean mine after every use. But I do manage to clean my mp everyday!

Plus, all that hard work made my mp be the shiniest in my section!:D But just saying........

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Alcohol kills most bacteria that might be found on or in a mouthpiece. It is a supreme disinfectant.

OLDLOU>>