Cleaning Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Feb 25, 2009.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Its really unfortunate that its not legal for some of us yet :roll:

I clean mine every week, just warm water with a brush but I think i'll start trying with toothpaste...
    hmm

2. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    I only use the toothpaste when the backbore isn't sparkling clean and gleams like the backbore on a new piece. Once you get it perfect with the toothpaste, it'll stay clean just using a brush with soap and warm water. You likely won't have to use the toothpaste again for months.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I like the toothpaste idea - I'll give that a go. My only problem is that when I clean one mouthpiece, I feel the need to clean them all. :roll:

4. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.

For that hint of minty freshness! :D

Couldn't help it, had to be said!

Ted, you'll need to buy more toothpaste.

Cheers!

:cool:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    More toothpaste, ohh yeah - I wonder if it will take the nasty smell out of my old tenor horn case?

6. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    When I buy a used one, I boil the crap out of it, dishwashing liquid and mpc brush and we're good to go. Then, about every other day of use or so with the brush.

Back in high school, well, how about NEVER. I'd play it until it backed up enough to push my teeth into my throat. I guess I grew up!

#$%^ me,

Ed
    MySpace.com - Ed Mann - 52 - Male - LA, California - www.myspace.com/jazzlips

7. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you get a used mouthpiece and it looks dull and "gunkie" inside. Use Wright's Brass Polish. It is water baseded and non-abrasive. It will do wonders to an old mouthpiece. It is also great to put on your wire brush and clean your leadpipe with. Rinses clean. After you are done, wash down with soap and water, rinse and take a cotton swab soaked in alcohol, swab the mp throughly and you are in business.

8. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I know this seems gross but i only clean it when i clean my trumpet(every 1-2 months). I clean them with dishwashing soap, but I do clean it after i play when i am sick...:-)

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Naa...I knew a tuba player who played on a Tuba Exchange Rose MP for a year and never washed it

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I was once sitting in 2nd chair at a gig and gagged as the sheila on 3rd pushed compacted food out of her MP with a knitting needle - said the sound was a bit fuzzy - fuzzy? It was green and furry.