Cleaning Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Feb 25, 2009.

1. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    Someone had mentioned toothpaste. I used to clean mine with toothpaste when I was in High School, then I was told toothpaste is an abrasive which can scratch gold and silver. I don't know how bad the would be on a mouthpiece but since then I've just used hot water and Dawn. Wash, rinse well and let air dry.

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Also I carry wrapped alcohol swabs with me in my mouthpiece case. When I play someone elses trumpet I usually swab out my mouthpiece before inserting it. The other reason for the swabs is that kids have a hapit of changing horns at practice a lot. I bring out the swabs and have them wipe them down before anyone uses them. I am surprised at how many parents do not teach their kids about hygene.

3. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    Darn good idea!

4. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I just simply use warm water and soap, no special trick, just...CLEANING!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahh VB - straight to the point eh? Drongo? No just a viola player masquerading as a trumpeter. ROFL

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    SilverHorn...you can get a box of alcohol 100 swabs for $1.99 at Target. They are perferatived so you can tear them apart and slip them into the zipper portion of you mp case. "I never leave home without them".