Cleaning my Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Jan 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    In my first year, the band director told us to soak our horn for about 30 minutes. Now that I am switched to a silver horn instead of a brass horn, I'm wondering if this is how I should do it. I have heard people say they only soak it for about 30 seconds. If someone could give me detailed instructions so I'm not so confused. :-?

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA

You definitely need to soak it longer than 30 seconds. 30 minutes in warm (not hot) water is good. Here's a 3-minute lesson. Instead of the snake, as used in the video, I like to use
    HW Brass-SaverTM Trumpet Set, since it will not scratch the inside or outside of your horn.

YouTube - How to Clean Wind Instruments : How to Clean a Trumpet

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A very good video displaying the basic techniques. Those of us with unlacquered horns can use "hot" water. Only lacquer is sensitive in this respect.

The time needed for soaking is dependent on how dirty the horn is and the interval between cleaning. I soak for 30 minutes and clean every couple of weeks. If the grunge has dried out due to little practicing (there are a couple of you out there in that position.....), a 60 minute soak is not unreasonable. I use the snake and brushes under water.

I use a soft cloth to dry off the horn. Paper towels can scratch silver, gold and raw brass.

Do not reassemble the horn moist. Oil floats on water and that means valve oil applied to damp valves or casing will not bond to the metal - and therefore not protect the valves properly. The valves and casing should be "bone dry" before assembly.

Thank you Seilogramp! - Could you do me a favor? Your signature has a picture of a C trumpet in a very dangerous position. We should NEVER lay an instrument down on the second slide valve. It is very delicate and I have had more than one student with a stuck 2nd valve! Please flip the horn over and take a new picture - THANK YOU!

4. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    In about 30 years of trumpet playing I never caused any damage to second valve even though I'm used to lay (not throw) it in the position as shown on the signature's photograph
    If you lay a trumpet on the opposite side it's much shakier - what I don't like at all.

P.S.: What I tell all my students all the time is not to raise the trumpet straight to the sky and jump around - like some avatars show. You never know where you're gonna land.

:-o

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Rowuk's advice is spot on.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This repeats a written instruction included with every brand new Getzen Trumpet. I guess other manufacturers give the same advice.

However, your choice, your baby, your potential repair bill.

7. Xenojoe

Xenojoe New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    So does this mean that with a silver trumpet you can leave it soak for half an hour in hot water???

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bixel,
    you are one of the most fun things to have happened to me here at TM. Just keep it up! ROFL

I guess I must get the unlucky students. Sticky second valves are not uncommon which is why I posted. Dave Monette has a better solution: the horn is in your hands making music or in the case. Not always practical, but safe. His cases are pretty enough to take on stage too.

9. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    sorry, double

10. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun too.

[​IMG]

Well - they themselves are responsible for their choice I guess.

ROFL

I think Dave Monette should make a video of his cases, perhaps with Wynton M. and Louis Vuitton?

My solution: use a trumpet stand.

:-P