Cleaning my Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Jan 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I understand and thank you for the suggestion. I usually have it on an appropriate trumpet stand or in its case, but for the photo shoot I took a chance. I would normally not lay it down on a hard surface such as the wooden desk in the photo. Another thing specific to this horn; this is a lightweight copper tuning-bell Schilke. I always felt, maybe without reason, that the bell side of the horn was more fragile.:dontknow:

BTW, as for trumpet stand. I am frequently switching between the 3 horns (see sig) and would like to have a quality stand that will safely support them. Any recommendations?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
  4. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    @seilogramp: rowuk asked you to flip the trumpet, not the photograph (laterally reversed, which is what you obviously did).

:lol:

5. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I am SO busted! :oops:

6. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Thanks for the advice!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've written a paper on trumpet maintainance. I'l be glad to send you a copy. Just contact me at my e mail address.

8. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Dang that is soft. At OP I never wash the outside of my horn I always polish it. However I do get it chem cleaned once every two years, to the day. can anyone say ocd? Anyways I just prefer not to dip mine, I have no red rot or anything and my baby is 34 yrs old. :thumbsup::play::thumbsup:

9. StoporIlltoot!

StoporIlltoot! New Friend

Jan 7, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Whatever you decide to do, spend the money on a quality snake, and plan on replacing it in the future. The bristles wear out on these just as they do on your toothbrush. Make sure there is not a sharp end at the tip beyond the bristles to scratch the inside of the tubes. My horns are so clean that if you threw them into the air, they would turn into sunshine (metaphorically speaking, don't actually try this.)

I found the soft microfiber cloths absorb much of the moisture left on the outside of the horn. They work more effectively than dishtowels, rags, or whatever might be laying around, and do such with almost no pressure. After you are done using them, run them through the laundry and use them later.

I am still using the old-school chromed steel folding stands. The rubber stop that contacts the bell can leave a mark on the finish, so I cut a circular "skirt" out of an old cleaning cloth to place between the inner bell and stand. Problem solved, but the stand is still a hassle to tote around.

On a side note, I'm convinced a large number of problems with second valve slides are caused by gig bags. Although I hear they've gotten better over the last few years, I'm done with them.

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    You're not busted, you just hapen to own the trumpet that was used as the pattern for the U.S. Quarter for the state of Louisiana! Now we know the trumpet on the quarter isn't actually engraved backward!