Cleaning my Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Jan 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Ditto. I made the egregious mistake of using the snake that came with a kit from the local music store. The bristle head came off between the bell crook and the valve body. It was a pain to extract. Regarding a trumpet stand, I use a Hamilton, but I padded the cone with strips of soft felt to protect the lacquer.

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
  3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    OK, finally found a non-offensive sig photo. I don't plan on slam dunking it either.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I also like hamilton stands. They are sturdy and adjustable to each horn. i use color coded elecrrical tape so that each stand corresponds to each horn for security. Additionally, i cover the parts that contact my horns with the bags that come with Crown Royal bottles. here in Virginia the state run stores have a supply available for free. Bars don't want the bags so extras are available in the back of the store. I turn them inside out to avoid corrupting young students or scratching the finish with embroidery.

5. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    So this may be a little off topic, but are there any quick cleanings you can do to a horn if your sick one day but don't have the time to clean it the next?

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Some use a product called "Spitballs" and claim it works between cleanings.

Herco Spitballs

I use them and they seem to work. Follow the directions!

Suspect others here like or dislike them and will tell you why?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    the spitballs do work ok, but be careful to make sure you keep your valve all the way down when you shoot one through. If you don't, it could get stuck and then you loose the initial momentum and can't force it through. I've only seen this happen once though and it was my friend's first time using one. You have to put it in the leadpipe and push it in pas the mouthpiece receiver with a plastic pen. Not bad for clearing out some gunk.