Cleaning my horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raymo, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    I just moved into an area that uses well water and I'm not very fond of drinking it. I was wondering if well water is ok for cleaning my horn. Thanks in advanced!

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yes, as long as you are using Dawn or something similar in case of it being hard water with a lot of minerals. Generally well water can be tested by the local USDA office for consumability. In some cases it may be more healthy than tap water. I was raised on Spring Water. I never got sick until we moved to the city. Only thing is there is little flouride for your teeth and you want to keep them healthy. But if all your using it is bathing and showering and cleaning horns, I think you're ok. I'd have it tested and save a bundle on my water bill.

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    It may not taste great, but if you can drink it, shower in it, wash your clothes in it, wash your cookware in it, and wash all your eating utensils in it, I can't see how it would be bad for your horn. You can get an agricultural water test done that will tell you exactly what minerals are in the water, and in what concentrations.

I grew up drinking well water (and washing my trombone in it). I've lived for the last 12 years in a house on a private well and have never worried about washing horns.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Just buy distilled water at the store. It's cheaper insurance. How often do you bathe your horn anyway?

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I use well water here. We have quite an enormous machine to blow out the Radon (Westchester County is regarded as the Radon capital); this blower unit also raises the pH to an acceptable level. The water tests very pure now, tastes great, and cleans trumpets a treat.

If in doubt, test your water. Water test kits are pretty cheap at the hardware. Maybe your local authorities require this???

If you are still alive to read this thread, I imagine that eColi is not an issue.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It sounds well enough to me. Its fine to soak the horn without any treatment. What part of Ohio? I am in Dayton.

The only advice I have regarding well water (as a pediatrician) is if you have an infant, you will need to boil it before giving the little fella formula prepared with the water. And when I recommend boiling the nipples, I am talking those things you put on the bottle... NOT YOUR OWN NIPPLES. Gotta love those disclaimers.

It's also not a bad idea to burp your trumpet about every couple of minutes after blowing lots of air and spit through it. Nothing wrong with babying the horn.

7. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    I live in a tiny town near Canton. I went ahead and bathed my horns. Honestly, for my newest one, it was the first time in over five years; I hardly played when I was in the military. Now I plan to play a lot. I soaked my horns in dish soap and gave them a nice scrubbing. I think I will be ok after reading these replies. Thanks for the feedback. Now to get my chops back!

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I always put in a plug for Allen Vizzutti's Book 1 ... great stuff for the comeback trail.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure the well water will do much for this, but it will keep the chops hydrated as they come back. Give it time. You should see progressive steps at 6 weeks intervals. I wish you well; but this will depend on water or not you practice at least every other day. Moisture beginning practicing should be with lots of long tones. And then, that'll be water under the bridge!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh well, ya'll said what I was gonna say.:D