cleaning my trumpet.... any tips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pie Girl, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Pie Girl

Pie Girl New Friend

Sep 7, 2010
    I have a chair audition coming up and my trumpet sounds kinda stuffy and so I want it to sound its best when the time comes. But I'm not sure how to clean my trumpet. What implements should I use? what temperature water? what can't get wet? etc.
    Thanks!

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I written a paper on trumpet cleaning. E mail me and I'll send it to you.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Pie Girl,

If the trumpet is lacquer, do not use hot water as it likely to take off the lacquer. If it is silver plate not water won't hurt it. Always remove the valves for cleaning separately and try not to get the felts (if on the horn) wet and be extra careful when handling valves and slides.

Lots of folks here have given good advice to follow, so read how they clean their brass instruments?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    warm, mild soapy water, a couple of pieces of lint free cloth to swab out the tubes (where you can), be sure to remove the valves (don't immerse these). and regrease slides and valve caps with vaseline or slide grease when dry --- reoil the valves.

(I try to use a flexible piece of plastic tubing -non metal anyhow - to "fish" a long piece of cloth through the slides -- and then pull the rest through to take out the "slime"
    you should be good to go