Cleaning Safety?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pseudonym, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Would there be a problem with leaving my trumpet in a bath for multiple hours submerged under water with any old dishsoap? I'm planning on letting it bathe a little while before I decide to scrub it down. I've been careless and lazy and haven't cleaned it in a little while, don't judge, I'm a busy guy! :dontknow:

Anyway, does anyone see any harm in this? It's a Getzen 700SP series, I believe, it that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2009
    Colorado Springs

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have certainly soaked my 700SP overnight - not too much detergent though - I start with hot water and trumpet totally disassembled - valves washed seperately. If possible, completely submerge the whole instrument. Snake, rinse really well, dry very thoroughly, lubricate, re-assemble, then polish. Have fun.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The trumpet is out of metal. Water and soap can't hurt it. I really question the need for extended hours though. If hot water can't get everything loose within an hour or two, longer won't accomplish more.

5. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I bought a plastic storage tub from wal mart for 9 bucks. It is just large enough to hold the trumpet on the diagonal. I remove the valves and do them separately so as not to bang them on anything, then disassemble the rest of the horn. I fill it up with just enough warm water to cover the valve cores and add a couple of shots of palmolive dish soap. The tub came with a cover so I cover it up and wait an hour or until the grease from the slides has been disolved. During the hour, I turn the horn over to make sure the bell gets immersed as well. Then, I use the snake and brushes to rod out all the tubing, rinse everything and set out each piece to dry overnight. Grease and oil in the morning and it's like a new instriment again.

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    I hadn't meant hours on end, just an hour or so. I was wondering if leaving it submerged for lengthy period unattended would do anything harmful to the horn, that's all. We can close this now. :)

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Do long soaks as shared in this thread have a detimental affect on lacquered brass instruments? Can't imagine it hurting silverplate, but not sure about lacquer?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Lloyd, as long as the water is warm, not hot, the laquer will not be affected. However, if there is breaks in the laquer, some soap may enter there but it is not usually a factor.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like to soak the inside, using a B.E.R.P.-like device to plug the receiver end, hanging from a sturdy cord, and filling the instrument with about 1/2 teaspoon of viftamin C powder. This works on the gunk mildly without removing the oils and grease. After a couple hours I rinse it and then use water mixed with a tad bit of baking soda to kill the acid.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    VB, I did a similar thing to my Getzen 700 when new - don't know why now when I think about it - the 1st valve slide fell out due to weight of water and banged on the floor of the bathroom, result rather large ding. I don't do that any more.

I soak my trumpet like Bruce does in a plastic container. I let the horns soak for a while while I clean the valves, wash off the slide grease, etc. Sometimes, No.1 1st Best Wife has other tasks and I get distracted in the process - so it soaks a bit longer :dontknow:. I have fitted a screwed bung from the local ships chandlery so I don't have to balance 5 gallons of water over the sink to drain it - I just undo the bung and "presto".