Cleaning Service

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetaddict, Feb 6, 2011.

1. trumpetaddict

trumpetaddict New Friend

Sep 3, 2010
    When i take my horn to the local music store to be chemical flushed what exactly do they do?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    disassemble, basic clean, put the parts in the chemical bath/ultrasound bath. Wipedown, grease and oil, reassemble.

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    The techs here in the Kalamazoo, Montana area (Kalispell-Missoula) usually replace the felts & corks if they need it.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    That is standard in most places - also any springs which need replacing, which is just about all the time on lever water keys because when they are trimmed to length, they are often too short to reuse. And it is better not to take the risk of early breakage. I always replace the springs and clips on amado water keys, and replace the standard ugly rusty set screw on the Stradivarius 3rd slide stop with a stainless steel one.:-)

This service is an ideal time for the tech to check for any possible upcoming problem areas (worn knuckles, funky joints). I am also often polishing spring box slots etc. as part of the "standard" charge.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Not completely correct.

This service should always comprise:
    Disassemble, basic clean, chemical or ultrasound bath, rinse in a neutralizing solution, detergent clean again. Dry, grease and oil, replace necessary corks felts and springs, reassemble. PLAY TEST!