Cleaning/shining brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Aug 30, 2011.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    My bugler student's mom wants to make the old bugle look nice. I've only ever maintained a finish, not had to fix anything. (As in, I wipe my instrument with a cloth and that's it.) What can I advise her to do that would be safe? She does not want to pay for professional cleaning/polishing.

2. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    On raw brass, Wright's brass polish and a soft cotton cloth work wonders for me. It's quick and easy.

JR

3. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Mothers (brand name) Mag and Aluminum Polish from the auto parts store is the best stuff I have ever used on raw brass. Just use and old T shirt and polish away until it starts to shine and then use a second clean shirt to buff the remainder off.

After that you can wipe it down with some pledge to keep it from tarnishing so fast.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, Wright's markets a specific polish for brass separate from their silver polish. Boy Scout amd U.S. Regulation M1892 bugles were originally raw brass. In addition to cloths I use an old soft toothbrush to get in the tubing crevices. With due diligence the owner could do as well as most professional services. Too, I'd definitely and highly recommend a long soaking bath in Dawn dish detergent and a half cup of white vinegar as to follow with the acquisition of a trumpet cleaning snake and its usage. I'm still concerned about the tuning slide as pulls toward the mouthpiece. If it is stuck do not force it, as such is a task is best left to a professional tech who has the proper tooling and experience to get it loosened safely. I should believe the cost would be minimal.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My wife bought some citric acid for cleaning her brass candle holders - 1 minute and they were spotless. I diluted that stuff 50% and put horn parts in for a minute or two - spotless. I rinsed very thoroughly to prevent it eating through. Awesome stuff and biologically safe!

SteveB likes this.