Cleaning The Horn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rmwtrumpet, Dec 4, 2004.

1. rmwtrumpet

rmwtrumpet New Friend

Dec 4, 2004
    When I was first told how to clean my trumpet, I was told to use water that was not hot, or cold, somewhere in between. Anyway, that's how I've been cleaning it for the past 8 years. I was just reading some maintenance information on Taylor Trumpets webpage, www.taylortrumpets.comand it says to use HOT water. Is this just for certain kinds of finish? Is it safe on a silver finish?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You got it. Hot water was not recommended for lacquered finishes since it would damage the finish and cause the lacquer to flake off. On silver plate or gold plate hot water will not hurt the finish since the plating is molecularly bonded to the base material.

Hot water will also not cause the solder to melt and the horn to fall apart... solder melts at a considerably higher temperature than boiling water.

Some of the newer lacquer finishes are also much less likely to be damaged by hot water than the older ones since "new" lacquers are epoxy based, much thinner and are not as soft as the old ones.

3. rmwtrumpet

rmwtrumpet New Friend

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks! I'll have to try that the next time I clean my horn. Thanks Again!