Cleaning the trumet/tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by linktrek, Jul 14, 2013.

1. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    I notice this many times in my life and it happened today too. It seems that right after I clean my trumpet my tone goes bad. I had this happen many times with many trumpets. Is this a common occurence?

2. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I find just the opposite. My horns play much better after I clean them. Do you drain the water completely and let them air dry well inside and out before re-assembly?

3. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Nope. Thanks!

4. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Hey linktrek,

I read an article in another post in this forum and a post in the same thread by the learned and always informative gmonady that after cleaning your horn you can pour 91% isopropyl alcohol through your slides and the horn tubing while it's still broken down. Soak the valves in it to too, IIRC. It will kill any nasties that could be found therein.

The story was about a guy who neglected his trombone, for sure. He didn't clean it for a couple of years, IIRC. I clean mine about every three months and that's playing two horns alternately, soon to be three horns. :D

Here's the thread:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/horn-cleanliness-73245.html

Read that article!

Where's that YUCK emoticon?
    :dontknow:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  5. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    I have my trumpet about a month now and cleaned it three times. But drying out the trumpet while is was broken down helped a lot. Also I'm going to try the iso. Sees like a good thing to do.