cleaning the trumpet?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MadScout08, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Chris,

Yup thats it... Toots and Alex have a better "snake" to run through your horn but I can't remember what it's called. I bought mine from the local music store. I have the snake to go through the horn which is really nothing more then a flexible wire bending brush on both ends. I also have the valve body brush and the mouthpiece brush.

Once a week, I pull the horn apart straight out of the case or if after practice straight away I pull it apart and clean each piece. Once I'm satisfied with the job I've done I have Silver polish I use to polish the horn. I have a 1966 King Silver Flair. Once I have polished it up I let it dry and then buff it to a nice shine. I use a Bach polishing cloth in between cleanings to maintain the horn's appearance.

I'm kinda anal about it; I went to school with some guys that had green stuff growing out of the slides.... Yuck.. :cry:

So that's the long and short of it. I of course apply valve oil and slide grease as needed.

Best to you,
    John

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  3. MadScout08

MadScout08 New Friend

Feb 21, 2006
    i ordered a reka a couple days ago... should be here today... i'm a dork, but excited! hope it helps like you say it does!!!
    Chris

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You will find that the biggest advantage of the REKA for regular horns is that the "snake" does not have any wire in it, therefore nothing to scratch or mark the inside of the tubing. Even the slide "brushes" are non-metallic.

The REKA kit is an absolute necessity with the Eclipse trumpets which do not have a removable tuning slide in the leadpipe... the only way to swab out the leadpipe is "in and through" the 3rd valve casing and then backwards through the leadpipe.

You can make the REKA last longer by following the instructions and cleaning off the "sponges" after use... get as much of the black gunk off of the foam that you can to prevent deterioration of the foam.

If you are in the habit of leaving the horn too long between "swabbings" then you can expect that you might need to go with the "bottle brush" type of cleaner to help remove the crud.

Don't forget to put a bit of soap on the sponge for the snake the first time you use it...otherwise you'll end up wondering whether or not the foam might stick in the leadpipe venturi!!! (They are very well attached however so just follow the instructions and all will be well).

5. MadScout08

MadScout08 New Friend

Feb 21, 2006
    i got my REKA and used it for the first time yesterday!!! works amazing... i really like it! how does it say to wash off the sponges though??? i dont think i saw that part...

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    No,

Just leave all that gunk on them! :D

Just kidding,

Written or not, it only makes sense to clean the sponges.

-cw-

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Do what him say,Do what him say!
    :lol:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Put a drop of dish soap on the sponges after cleaning the horn... work the soap in well. Rinse thoroughly, squeezing the water out (and black stuff off) as you rinse. Let the sponges dry before putting them away.

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    :lol: Yo toots!