cleaning the trumpet?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MadScout08, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah.......what Toots said about cleaning the kit is the best bet. Those little sponges do a great job.

Yo'! Shoutin' out to Clarence! :-)

2. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hey what up peach cobbler! :D

3. reversedlead

reversedlead New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    Seattle
  4. MadScout08

MadScout08 New Friend

Feb 21, 2006
    has anyone had a problem with the sponges comming off... i was just curious. it seemed like they moved a lot when i was cleaning my horn... they look like they are securely fastned. but i dunno

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    No problems here. Used the same kit for going on two years now.

6. No_Ego_Less_Problems

No_Ego_Less_Problems New Friend

Aug 13, 2010
    IL
    to clarence and all others who believe that solder will melt at 430F. It won't, if that were the case you could solder with steam instead of the much more expensive fuel torch. That theory is alot like the people who think that the steel grate in their fireplace is made of stronger material than the WTC towers were so that you can burn fires that go to over 2200F for decades and it never loses it's structure but a fire that was out that only had a high temp of 1800F (i.e. the "official story" that jet fuel melted the steel) for the first 3 seconds and that the past fires which burned 13 hours longer and on lower floors just didn't have the same effect. It DIDN"T HAPPEN THAT WAY!! Why else are there films from multiple local NY network affiliates that don't show any plane flying into the building, but there is a missle in BOTH footages for each "hit" and the "famous" French film doesn't have a plane in it either. Wake up and don't be afraid to steam, but I don't think it is necessary. It takes years and years of not cleaning for much to build up, except the leadpipe, in the first place. I call it superstition, like "the perfect mouthpiece". Just blow air, and control it.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Greg,
    Steaming sounds a little dangerous for the welds.
    I tear the horn down and soak it in hot soapy water for about 10 minutes, then swab out the tubes and little areas with a snake.
    Next, run a fast stream of hot water through the tubes to rinse away any loosened gunk.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If anybodies interested I written a paper on trumpet Maintainance. It's based on 52 years of cleaning horns. I wrote for my students. If interested just e mail me.

9. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010

You need some more tinfoil for your head? ROFL

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I play everyday for 1-2 hours. I make sure to get all the water out of the horn at the end of each practice Once a week I run a spitball through all valve combinations.

http://www.wwbw.com/Herco-Trumpet-Spitballs-420349-i1133437.wwbw?source=TWFRWXX&CAWELAID=455183917

Once a month I soak the horn in warm soapy water for about thirty minutes using dish washing liquid. After soaking I run the snake through all tubes with water running through. Keeps my horn working fine without the smell that others sometimes develop.