Cleaning the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kiddo, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Kiddo

Kiddo New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi once again trumpet masters, I have a pressing question; can I clean my trumpet thoroughly by fully submerging it in water?

I've been playing the trumpet for only a year, and never heard of anything like this till my band teacher brought this up recently, and I thought it sounded pretty ludicrous, cause wouldn't it mess up the pressure within the valve chambers or anything?

If suppose it is indeed an 'orthodox' method to clean the trumpet...how should I go about doing it? Are there any specific things to follow I.e temperature of the water, how long to submerge it, and how do I dry it (especially the insides)?

Because I've never cleaned my trumpet in anyway at all, except by polishing it, oiling valves etc. And I suspect that it's bound to be dirty on the inside. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Many players clean their trumpets this way once a month, some less, some more. But you'll need some instructions:
    How to Clean Wind Instruments : How to Clean a Trumpet

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  3. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Here is a pointer to an excellent process for cleaning your horn Trumpet Cleaning for Students

If you go to an instrument store they should have 'cleaning kits' near the oil. You really need a snake and possibly a valve brush. And you should also get a mouthpiece brush!

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Go to the store get a cleaning kit and get to work.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No problem cleaning under water. Playing under water - that's another matter entirely!

o
    o
    o
    o>--iii--<

6. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
  7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Man are you going to be amazed at what comes out of that thing! A year without cleaning? After you do it (see all the sites above), you will almost certainly notice the horn plays much better. Also, there are many cleaning threads on this whole site. Check 'em out.

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Kiddo,

Yes and No!

Take the valves out first and clean them seperately. If the valve have felts, don't get them wet.

It will not hurt to soak the horn in water with liguid dishsoap, buf if lacquered...DO NOT USE HOT WATER. The lacquer will come off.

Most of us take the slides out and run a snake cleaner through it.

Follow the directions others give!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  9. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    I only began learning the trumpet 3 months ago so have spent a lot of time on various web sites looking for advice on maintenance. I duly purchased a trumpet cleaning kit and set about bathing and cleaning my instrument. I pushed the bendy brush around the bend and when I pulled it out the pipe came out and the brush remained firmly wedged around the bend and it took me 2 hours with a crochet hook to coax it out again. I have since visited a site which said that it is totally unnecessary to wash and clean the trumpet and that it could do more harm than good and that you should just lubricate the valves and slides. After my experience I am inclined to agree but would welcome advice.

10. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    You need the right tool for the job. I use the HW Brass-Saverâ„¢ set for Trumpet. It has the ability to wind around tight tubing without getting stuck and without scratching the inside of the horn. I also use this for daily maintenance. Run the brush through the leadpipe before I put the horn away for the day. That keeps particles from working their way deep into the horn in between monthly cleanings. I also try to brush my teeth just before my practice session.

Must be the ZacharyMusic site. This site has been discussed at length on this thread. You can see that many agree that the information on that site is ludicrous, to put it mildly.:thumbdown:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010