Cleaning the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kiddo, Feb 19, 2010.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I have just begun using the tools recommended by seilogramp/Phil M and second his opinion of them. Your difficulty is not an uncommon one with a cheap snake. See his link above for the equipment. Also, great advice from him, I use a water-pic and flush my mouth before playing and it really helps keep the horn clean longer. (Ditto no eating and/or drinking sticky beverages on gigs.) Note also, his nice shortcut. If you clean the leadpipe every week the gunk won't get so far in the tubing; and if, you rinse your mpc after each use the plating will last longer, and if you also use a mpc brush on it once a week or so less gunk will get in the leadpipe. Have fun!

2. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    Many thanks Seilogramp for the advice and I'll certainly look up the quoted thread (wait... cleaning?) and continue bathing with my trumpet.

3. doug finch

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    Thanks Graysono for your contribution, I obviously have much to learn and the thought that by the end of the week my Scherzer is full of steak and chips gives me the creeps! DF

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Doug,

Is the site that said that "it is totally unnecessary to wash and clean the trumpet and that it could do more than good....." be the same eccentric guy that says other weird things about other businesses and musicians?

If I recall, we don't hear too many folks on the trumpet forums who like to do business with that person. If so, you might be wise to take recomendations from the site with a "grain of salt."

You would be better advised to listen to majority of folks here who really know what they are doing! I don't recall many of them saying NOT to clean their brass instruments.

Just wondering?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. doug finch

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    Thanks Lloyd, as I said previously I have much to learn and obviously the first lesson is to ignore advice on the aforementioned site. I have learned enough over the last 3 months to realize that the trumpet is a precision instrument and as such it certainly makes sense to keep it clean, it's just that I got very frustrated when the bl**dy brush got stuck around the bend.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yeah, that sort of thing will make the player go 'round the bend, too.ROFL