cleaning trumpet my first time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 16, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi Iam a come back player the other day I cleaned my horn by following instructions that I read on TM well it took awhile made a few dumb mistakes like too much soap( should have used a teaspoon) of pinesol so I had to rinse the trumpet real good but finally after letting the horn dry and oiling valves it sounded great and valves that were slow moved alot faster ....Thanks TM for the advice ,Anthony:thumbsup:

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Clean horns are wonderful.
    To help keep it clean I'd also suggest swabbing out the leadpipe with a snake every time you finish a session. I find then that the result from my cleaning matter a little less :-P

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I have a thread on here about cleaning the horn. I did a big cleaning today, just watching all that gunk come out made me feel bad i didn't clean my trumpet for a month neglecting it for the strad. But its a great feeling playing a clean trumpet, it seems to light up for you as if its saying "thank you". LOL, enjoy lighting up that clean trumpet!

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    A clean horn always seems to play better. I guess we have a reason to keep them clean.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I just started a full time job in brass repair last week, and I think I did about 100 trumpets last week. about 90 of them had to be cleaned... My hands are dry and getting a rash. I need to wear gloves.

When I don't need to do a real chem clean on the horns, I use a tub full of sunlight dish detergent and warm water.

6. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Yup, when I went to the repair shop roughly two months ago, the guy there told me to use dish soap as it clean so much more better then regular hand soap or anything like that.

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I put dish detergent and warm water in a bathtub and let them soak. Valves are cleaned on their own and felts are removed so as not to get them wet. I use a snake on the leadpipe and the slides. Give it a good rinse when soaking is done and dry with a soft cloth, grease the slides and place back in the horn, put the valves back together, oil and and reinstall.

Never use hot water on lacquered instruments so as not to damage the lacquer and watch it fall off. I usually polish my silverplated horns after the bath as tarnish usually sets in. Use silverpolish (your choice) or the salt, water, tin-foil system recommended by some.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I wouldn't use pinesol in any case, the aromatic oils (pine scent) remain after the horn is rinsed. my lips get a rash just thinking about that!