Cleaning valves in a clean trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Jan 30, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have to use my "back up" trumpet while the other is in the shop getting fixed. The back up has not been used since its last cleaining but the values are very sluggish. Is all that is required is fresh oil or do the valves have to be cleaned prior to using since the old oil has obviously gooed-up. If so, how does one clean valves in a clean trumpet without a complete bath again.... pain in the butt.

Thanks,

BrotherBACH

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I would clean them. I use cheesecloth wrapped around a cleaning rod and soaked with lighter fluid.

Tom

3. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    I use chamois leather with a shoelace attached to it to pull through the valve casing as a swab. I also wipe down the pistons with this. If I was still having problems I'd use naptha, but usually a "wipe and swab" does the job; it depends on how gooey the oil has become.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thank you for the advice. The trumpet I am talking about is my Mt. Vernon. Wouldn't lighter fluid hurt the lacqure if any got on it by accident?

BrotherBACH

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Zippo lighter fluid is also known as naptha. It has never harmed the lacquer on any of my horns. Of course, I don't soak the finish with the stuff. Just enough to thin out or remove the crud in the casings. On the pistons there is no lacquer, so have at it. BTW, be sure to reoil the valve assemblies with a good quality synthetic valve oil, getting rid of the petroleum product that leaves the varnish residue after evaporation. Personally, I like Hetmans.

OLDLOU>>

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  7. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    I would certainly be careful. However, I can't speak from experience as my horn is silver not lacquer. Remember that not all lacquers are created equal, so someone else's experience may not directly apply.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    The Mt. Vernon is your back up? You must have a great main horn!

I would just wash them in soapy water to get the grime and oil off of them then I would just apply new oil.

coolerdave likes this.
  9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Just run water through the valve casing while using a standard valve brush covered in dish washing liquid. Rinse the pistons off while rubbing with your hand. Oil them up and play.

coolerdave likes this.
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I use Alisyn Solvent Cleaner. It's made for brass instruments and won't harm the finish. Available at most music stores, it dries fast and doesn't leave any residue. I spray it in the casings and run a cotten cloth with a cleaning rod through them until clean. I clean off the pistons with it. great for that quick clean you're looking for.

The Alisyn company makes cleaners and lubricants for the space industry.