Cleaning valves in a clean trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Jan 30, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    This is great information.... thanks to all. My MT Vernon is my back up because it is too precious to me. My everyday horn in an early 70s Elkhart Bach Strad, also a very good horn that has been with me through thick and thin and still keeps souding beautiful to me. Now, if only I could get springs for the spit valve that lasts as long as the original one did.

BrotherBACH

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Good, after hearing about your Mt. Vernon I would have that in a water proof container with a time lock and many padlocks. Any chance of us getting some pictures sometime?

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Sure. I have pictures I will try to post. I have not had good luck posting pictures on this website but I will try later tonight.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    make sure you use Bach water key springs. Generics will not do.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I would do this first before considering any solvents. Usually this is all hat is needed.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The problem here is that soap will get in the slides. Then you have to rinse the whole horn and be sure you get ALL the soap residue out.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Bob, that was what I was worried about. Regarding the Bach Water Key Springs, where do you get them. The shop who does mine uses the less expensive steel and they snap after a while. The technician knows this and says they do not make them like they used to anymore. Do you have a lead??

BrotherBACH

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You could try another shop. Or you could try to call Bach's customer service. Any Bach dealer can give you the number. You can't put them in your self as it requires a special tool to hold the spring in place.

9. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    sometimes the best answer is the simplest one... You don't need to give a complete cleaning... just pull valves apart, scrub with soap/water, rinse and oil and good to go.

10. RMS

RMS Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2010
    Iowa
    Valve brush with Dawn detergent, scrub carefully. Use blitz cloth on the valves. Rinse, oil, done.