Cleaning valves in a clean trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Jan 30, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    OK- ready for some sacrilege? Pour some liquid dishwashing detergent down the bell of the horn followed by a forceful blast of water from your faucet, while wiggling the valves. Continue until only clear water is running through your horn. Turn horn around and blow forcefully into the lead pipe through your horn and out the bell to clear it of water. Wipe bell and horn dry. Put horn on stand and let inside dry thoroughly. Squeeze oil into the lead pipe and blow it through the horn. Basta!

You write that your horn is otherwise clean and that you don't want to go to a lot of trouble cleaning the valves etc. The above will just take a few moments so you're not put out any time. If it works, great and it's done what you want it to. If not, now you know that you have to do more work on it but you haven't already done it unnecessarily.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    coolerdave likes this.
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    As a fellow heritic I can attest to this method

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. I will admidt that this sounds a bit odd and may work to clean the valves. But, when I was in grade school, I remember a friend told me to but oil down the lead pipe and give it a blast until I saw it coming out the bell. I vague recall it doing something VERY bizzar to a lacqure.

BrotherBACH

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, ref the oil, my trumpet teacher/Jr HS. band teacher told me I could make my valve oil from 3&1 oil and kerosene, which I did, especially when I was in college and didn't have a pot to **** in. He also taught me to oil my valves by blowing the oil all the way through the horn, which is what I do to this day. I never noticed any discolouration to the bell.

p.s. The 3&1 oil/kerosene was, er, odiferous to say the least.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I teach my students to do this between baths. I also run a brush/snake through the leadpipe as far as I can. I will help keep the horn clean, but really doesn't help the valves as much as cleaning them separately.