Cleaning your valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nplotts1, Mar 8, 2008.

1. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    How do you go about cleaning the valves themselves? I was washing my trumpet today and noticed a thin blackish substance on the surface of the valves. I don't really know how to get it off without risk of doing minor damage to the valves or getting lint stuck on them. If it matters any, I use blue juice valve oil and run a Herco Spitball thru my horn at least 1nc every 2 weeks to a month.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Try some lemon dish soap and warm water. This should remove most of your problem. If not try brasso to get it off and then oil valves.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I just fill up my bathtub with warm water, maybe a little soap, take everything apart, and let it all soak for an hour. It comes off pretty easy after that. BTW, what does a spitball do? I've heard of them, but I don't know how to use them or where to get them.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    At least once a week, I remove the valves and bottom caps, run a chamois through the valve block until it is clean and dry, I also wipe off the valves with the chamois until they are bone dry and then oil and reassemble. The "darkish" stuff can only be one of two things, aerosols from your breath (food particles, etc) or very light valve wear-metal particles stuck in the oil.

Oil floats on water so make sure you ALWAYS get an oil to metal bond!

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    What is a chamois?

6. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I wouldn't be surprised if the black stuff was a mixture of the 2. I have started taking more measures to prevent particle build up (i.e. not eating or brushing my teeth before playing.) So hopefully this will help it some. Just to set thing straight, Yes I do brush my teeth, I have just added to it when I am getting ready to play after having eaten, or having something other than water to drink.

Jazz, Spitballs are little foam things that are moistened with a lubricant/cleaning solution that you blow through the horn to remove dirt and dabree (i cant spell that word grr.) from within the lead pipe and slides.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    a thin piece of leather used in drying off automobiles. It is very absorbent and absolutely lint free. I cut it into a size that can be pushed through the valve casing with a wooden chop stick.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I thought of one other possibility. If your saliva is very acidic, it could also be the oxidation of the brass being transported until it finds something sticky, like valve oil.
    Brushing ones teeth is OK, you just need to rinse, rinse, rinse.

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Without knowing the make and model of your trumpet, to get some idea of what material was used in the making of your valves it will be a bit difficult to determine what the stain might be and what might have caused it. Once those things are determined it might be possible to prescribe a curative.

In most cases, that black stain is permeated into the metal of the valve coating and actually does zero damage to the valve or its action and is totally unremovable.

OLDLOU>>

10. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    It came off, good thing I had an extra toothbrush to use for the job, because now that is black. I play the ZeuS listed in my signature; Monel valves.