Cleanliness issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reversedlead, Nov 27, 2005.

1. reversedlead

reversedlead New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    Seattle
    Hey Manny,

I have been working on the Kennan sonata (I know, not your favorite) but I seem to be having a cleanliness issue as higher volume levels. At times it just sounds sloppy, but when I back off the support, it seems to get better... Whats going on?

Thanks a bunch...
    Brandon

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You are overloading your ability to sustain a stable embouchure. It's either a problem with your lip strength or an equipment issue. When you are playing and you change dynamics, the basic sound should remain the same. If something changes, well... the horn didn't change and neither did the mouthpiece. What's left? Some mouthpieces will give you an ability to change dynamics rapidly, others don't. If you play louder or softer and the ability to center notes changes, that's bad. If you play louder and are suddenly playing flatter, you're going to split notes because you aren't centering. Same thing if you go sharp. The best is to maintan the same pitch center through louds and softs.

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Manny-

I have noticed that if I feel like I'm trying to push a large volume of air at the high notes they don't ring at all and sound, well, pushed. But if I backoff and think of the airstream like a laser of very focused air and releases the high notes it works much better, timbre and intonation being improved.

Why is this?

Thanks!

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    No, I am not Manny, but I will chime in with just 2 pesos.

Very simply, you were overblowing with an unfocused embouchure and probably playing "spread". You corrected your apperature to the right size (by picturing "a lazor of very focused air") which increased the speed and focused your air. It seems as though you found that place where player and horn are happy up there. You found a way to work with the resistance and not against it. That is how to properly play in the upper register. Voila!

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    To put it even more simply, by doing what you did, you stabilzed your embouchure! You're keeping the nozzle at the end of the hose firm and not letting it lose its stabilizing energy.

ML

Alex, do I owe you any change for those pésos? I haven't checked the exchange rate although I know we're doing a little better these days!

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know Manny....can you break a 20?

20 CENTS that is....LOL. 2 Pesos equals just under .19 USD. Keep the change. ;-)

7. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Peabody,

Alex and Manny have already provided the answer. When I run across examples that help illustrate the same piont I like to provide them when the question is asked. Here are some posts that I’ve made in the past related to this topic. I hope they will be helpful to you!

I hope this helps!

8. reversedlead

reversedlead New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    Seattle
    Ok thanks manny i think i got it figured out.

I think a part of my problem was that my horn angle was not correct according to my teeth, a problem i picked up from marching band. I corrected my angle (down about 15 degrees) and my sound was much cleaner.

Thanks a bunch,

brandon

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Badabing... embouchure stability!

You weren't in the optimal position for you and accuracy, at the very least, was compromised.

ML