Cleartone mute

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patrick9654, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    I have been looking for a solotone mute with no luck. I have seen cleartone mutes are they the same?

Thanks

2. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Hi Pat,

Very similar I think. I have one of each, and I think they are great. I had ordered one for a musical I played, but it was on backorder. Found an old Cleartone mute, bought it and forgot to cancel the other. Oops. Amazon seems to list some on hand, so I would think you would be safe with the Humes and Berg Cleartone. If you cannot find one I would be willing to part with the extra one I have.

Good luck,

Jack

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  3. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    Yep, the Humes & Berg Clear-Tone is a (an?) ubiquitous model of what is generally known as a solo-tone mute. Solo-tone has become a generic term sort of like the word "kleenex" vs. the brand-name "Kleenex" -- I think the original authentic solo-tone was from Shastock - I've never seen one myself.

Check out this thread in TrumpetMaster and it will give you more info:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f154/clear-tone-mute-solo-tone-mute-39300.html

I like the H&B Clear-Tone, but be ready to pull out your slide a good bit, even more than some bubble mutes.

4. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the info

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    A solotone mute is only a solotone mute. It is used a lot in the musical "42nd street."

I ordered mine and received it two weeks late. I had to borrow one.

If any of you are expecting to play professionally or in community theater productions you will need a solotone.

You can find them on the internet.

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I had to get one when I was doing Chicago years ago. By luck one of our local shops had a £1 clearance bin with a Humes and Berg cleartone mute in it so I bought it and its been used a lot since.