Clifford Brown grave site

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Siegtrmpt, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I've always been a Clifford Brown fan so I made the time to locate his grave site while passing through Wilmington DE last week to pay respects. The condition of the cemetery is sad to say the least. CB's grave site is located in a rundown segregated negro cemetery next to a burned out building on the property. While it appears that there is some effort to keep the place up it's not really enough. Perhaps there is someone who lives close to Wilmington that could stop my and clean up once in a while? I'm also going to write a few letters to local politicians to see what can be done to help clean up the place. It's sad to see the final resting place of a such a world famous musician in this condition.

tedh1951 likes this.
  2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I contacted a friend at the Jazz Foundation, maybe they can get involved.
    We should not forget our heroes.
    Wilmer

3. Siegtrmpt

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    That's great news. I'll send you a pm.

4. crazyhorns

crazyhorns New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    NJ/Philly
    Clifford's resting place...

I travel near Wilmington,DE often. I grew up in NJ right across the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Where is the cemetery and grave site located?
    ~Steve Hyde~

5. Siegtrmpt

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Steve, Good deal. I'll send you a PM with the specifics. Bill

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    KC MO
    Are you talking about the actual cemetery plot or the old street where he grew up?

I have visited the street and thought the tribute for him was very nice. The neighborhood does appear to be a little rough but people know who he was and thought it was cool that I was checking it out.

God Bless, Clifford.

-T

7. Siegtrmpt

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I'm talking about the actual cemetery plot. Although I would have liked to I didn't have the time to check out his home or talk to anybody in Wilmington. Just did a little clean up, said a prayer and had to move on. What was the tribute you mentioned. I'd like to check it out next time I'm up that way.

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    KC MO
    On his home street (which I can't remember the exact address off hand but found it in a book on CB) they have the sidewalks embossed with his image (picture from blue note album) and where his house used to be a plaque and tribute to him. It's really cool that though even though the area is a little economically depressed the neighbors still have great love and pride for Clifford's life and legacy.

Best,

T

9. Siegtrmpt

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Thanks, I'm going to check it out next time I'm up that way. 1013 Poplar St. is the address. Bill

10. J~A~D

J~A~D New Friend

Jun 23, 2010
    Delaware
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, I stumbled across this while looking up Clifford Brown and knew exactly what was being mentioned. The cemetery that entombs Mr. Brown has been in disarray for as long a I can remember, I went to high school next to the cemetery some years back and can remember it being just a site for sore eyes. After coming across this thread today I decided to load up my lawn equipment and head to Mr. Brown's site (it's about 10 min from my house), as I arrived I noticed things had no changed but only got worse with time, a lot overgrowth and trash being dumped there has really made it such a sad place for ones final place to be. His site wasn't to badly neglected, an american flag and some silk flowers adorn his headstone and the grass around it only had a little bit of high spots (due to no rain the grass isn't growing right now!). I trimmed a little and picked some weeds away just making sure it is approachable to family, friends and fans.

RandyTx likes this.