Clifford Brown's Cherokee Solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tom Mac, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I just responded to "favorite player" thread and cited the amazing Arturo Sandoval's subing the C.B's solo for the head on Cherokee. I mentioned that I have been trying to get this up to speed for the last 6 months. Progress has been made and I've learned some things about alternate fingering. My Question is as follows:

Does anybody, who has gotten this thing up to mm. 350 have any suggestions as to how achieve this goal. Practice tips, encouragement, etc. Can it be done by a mere mortal such as myself?

Let me hear from you.

T. Mac

2. Zaraskabat

Zaraskabat Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2007
    Hey Tom, can you give me a link to that utube clip?
    Thanks
    Ken

3. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
  4. Zaraskabat

Zaraskabat Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2007
    Thanks Tom, it is working........ dialup sax.
    Ken

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I learned the solo last Fall. I didn't get it up to Clifford speed, but I could play it a long to the Aebersold track. I just shed it and shed it starting slowly and working up the speed over a few weeks. Tonguing like Clifford is a whole different story...

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I don't think I ever got it quite to Clifford's speed, but you just have to keep whacking away at it. I'd put a metronome on 2 and 4 at 150 and take it up from there. I'd get up to maybe 165 or so, which is 330. If you like that solo check out Bird on Ko Ko. You'll see where Clifford got a lot of stuff. He's maybe my favorite trumpet player, except for Dizzy. The difference being I can play a lot of Clifford's solos but I cannot play Dizzy.

Michael McLaughlin

No man was ever great by imitation.
    Samuel Johnson