climate affect playing??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Sep 30, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I noticed when I went to Dakota this week my mouth was dry and I couldn't play. I got mt water bottle but the water didn't make my mouth any wetter. My mouth just turned dry ? I could play but terribly. the tonging wasn't clear. All the other brass players in my band said they had the same thing happen to them. Is this the climate affecting? If so how do I prevent this in the future when I go down to the southern and central states to play?:-(

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I think the problem is that the humidity was extremely low, drying out your throat and mouth almost immediately. Typical of states like WY, CO, SD.

You don't need to worry about such occurring in the southern states (I'm in AL). We have the exact opposite problem -extremely high humidity. If anything you may be sweating so much the mouthpiece slips all over your lips, but I doubt you will suffer from the problem you did in SD. I remember stays in WY. Same experience as you had in SD.

Steve
    Olds Super 46, 53, 62
    Olds Recording 52
    Bach Strad 67, 70

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Did you stay hydrated (water) as you traveled? Did you drive? Did you travel by air? If you took a flight you definitely need to drink more water. As you travel through the central and southern states, you will find higher humidity occurs year around in all seasons.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I actually traveled in a vehicle. I didn't drink lots of water. I guess that is the problem.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Climate does play a VERY big part in our entire breathing cycle and therefore also our playing. Hydration is also an issue when relocating to hot or dry areas. Altitude will change the oxygen levels with every breath.

Yes, you need to acclimate and treat your body well. After all it is your venture capital!