Clinking Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 25, 2013.

1. AK-tpt

AK-tpt New Friend

Sep 6, 2012
    ight and does so quietly.
    There! Got it!!!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    An off-topic aside: @Anthony, that actually happened. At the beginning of a tour of the North Texas (UNT) concert band, a buddy of mine had a school-issued cornet that had a buzz or rattle coming from it the first night or two. While bringing his horn down to his thigh in an "attention" position, the impact knocked a beer can opener out of the bell and it clinked to the floor. LOL.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Anthony:

I had this same issue with my vintage Conn cornet. This is the design with bottom springs and the steel (I think)
    bucket sort of shaped valve guide that is the top piece of the valve assembly. This bucket shaped guide has a lip
    that rides on top of the cylinder. That is the culprit.

I found my caps would only hold that lip down so much and the force of the returning piston would cause a clinking sound.

I solved it by taking some spare top cap felts, hammering them down w bit and placing them on the underside of the top
    cylinder cap where they sit between the cap and the rim of the valve guide "barrel".

This allows one to really keep that guide held in place no matter how "wild" the valve action.
    No more clicking.

Hope this works for you too.

Greg

4. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Your mouthpiece may not be seated solidly. Just last night I kept hearing a metallic rattle. I checked the valve caps, valve stems, and it still rattled. It was the m/p.