closed throat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Oct 8, 2005.

1. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    when i am trying to play high my throat area tightens up and its uncomfortable... do you guys have any tips to not close your throat when playing higher?

thanks

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    When practicing, take a deep breath, put the trumpet mouthpiece on your chin, blow like crazy while motioning the fingering on your leadpipe for a few measures (taking all the breaths necessary to complete the phrase, etc). Without interrupting what you have been doing so that you keep the same feeling, take a deep breath, slide/put the mouthpiece on your chops this time and blow the EXACT same way. Yeah, it might not sound pretty at first, but you will definitely surprise yourself with much loudness. The sensation should be one of a very open throat. Whenever you begin to feel "tight", do this exercise on your chin with the first few measures of whatever piece/exercise you are working on and immediately, without a blink or any kind of change or manipulation, replicate the same feeling after sliding the mouthpiece up to your chops. This should definitely help rid you of some tension. Good luck!

3. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    In my experience, taking a big yawn before playing helps a lot to relax and open the throat. Once you do that, try to maintain that open feel.

Chris