Clyde McCoy 1912-1990

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Sep 5, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Anyone know a good place on line to order an arrangement of this?

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I learned it off the record and play it with a harmon. The first time I heard a recording of him with a plunger I thought " I've got to learn to play like that"!

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You need the whole chart or just the solo part?

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Ideally the whole chart, but the solo part would be a great start!

5. Fatso DiMARTINo

Fatso DiMARTINo Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    I should be more more specific. First, this YouTube "Sugar Blues" is not Clyde McCoy and it's not from the '30s (and it's not Pixie/plunger). This player can not even get McCoy's hiccup and baby effects. And on the '30s original recording of "Sugar Blues", Clyde, as you can see in Solar's photos, used a Pixie and plunger. Would love to see the photo of him with a Harmon--maybe he was endorsing (back then, "promoting" :-P) for them?

I'd like everyone to hear the original and also the '50s version from the Capitol album that also featured Clyde overdubbing four-part wow-wowing harmony on "St. Louis Blues" and the album closer, "Sugar Blues Boogie.":-o Let me see what I can come up with...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. Fatso DiMARTINo

Fatso DiMARTINo Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
  7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I keep listening to the recording (yes, the real one), and I just don't think it sounds like a plunger+pixie; it doesn't exactly sound like a harmon either, but I think the wah-wah effects are much more harmon-like.

8. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    McCoy invented the wah-wah mute according to this website: Big Band Library: Clyde McCoy

So his could have been an altogether different mute.

9. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I noticed in some photos of Clyde the mouthpiece is well above center. Is this a common practice? If I adopt this, will I be able to play sugar blues?ROFL

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I got to play it in high school. Used the harmon, sounded okay, but not quite like the Clyde recording........Buck:oops: