Cocking the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Jun 6, 2006.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I know that cocking the trumpet is probably not the correct musical term, but...... :-)

I just noticed last night (while practicing!) that if I cock the trumpet a little to the right while I play it really opens up my sound (bigger). Normally I play with the mp centered on my lips and the trumpet straight out from there. I do have movement up and down while ascending and decending during my playing, but I noticed that when I kind of cocked it (the horn) to the right a little man! it sounded better. I did get fatigued quicker it seemed.

Does this sound like something I should continue to do? I also posted on another forum about air "leaking" from my corners while playing (lower notes), but didn't really notice when I changed the position of my trumpet.

later,

trax

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Just don't try to go off half-cocked!.

Maybe you can just hear it better when it was off to the right.

And you got tired faster?

Doesn't sound like a plan for me.

-cw-

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nice one Chuck! :cool:

I with Chuck....

A loss in endurance doesn't sound like a plan for me either...

I'm not sure what more educated players will have to say about this but for me I see no benefit at all in having the valve body "cocked" one way or the other.

I keep the horn straight up and down and play the way I was taught to play.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Do you mean you angle the trumpet off to one said a bit? or do you "tilt" the trumpet so that the valves aren't vertical? or do you reposition the mouthpiece a little off center on your chops?

Tilting the trumpet so that the valves aren't "vertical" should not matter one whit... the mouthpiece is round and so is the tubing.

Adjusting the angle of the trumpet (either "bell up" or "bell down" or "bell off to the side") OR repositioning the "set" on your chops so that the mouthpiece is not centered right in the middle could be more a matter of your dental structure than anything else.

5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I was talking about adjusting the angle of the trumpet - bell off to the side.

6. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    What do you all think about the air "leaking" around the corners of my mouth while I play, but didn't when I adjusted the horn position?

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    :shock: :dontknow:

8. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    Well I play off center too, works for me.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Stand in front of a mirror and check yourself out. You could be making faces like this emoticon :oops: Watch yourself for a while.
    By the way, many players don't hold the horn straight.
    Wilmer

10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I remember watching Lynn Nicholson kind of like "screw the mouthpiece" into his chops and tilt his head, just before he went off in the stratosphere. On normal passages...he'd look ... well, normal. Then...? a weird cocking of his head.

As for you getting more fatigued.... maybe you "should" try practicing this way for a while and see what happens. Maybe you'll gain some endurance over time. It's not conventional...but if you don't have a bunch of gigs or obligations for a couple of weeks... why not give it a try? Especially if it cleared your leaking air problem...??

Stranger things have happened... and that's no cock and bull story...! (to keep Chuck's joking going! )....