cold sores!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Oct 8, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Just got one of the buggers on my top lip! No easy blowing the horn so do i persist of just do some lip buzzing till it settles or what else?
    Am using a zovirax cream to get rid of it quicker.

any suggestions would be great.
    thanks
    steve

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Get some sleep, get some moisture (water is good) into you. I would guess that you are probably a bit run down - these sorts of outbreaks often reflect you burning the candle at both ends and the body needs a break to remain totally well. :dontknow:

3. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Blistex medicated works.
    Dont know if they sell that across the pond though.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I had one once at the corner of my mouth and it HURT. I got a tube of Blistex and put a big white gob of that on it, and went around that way, looked funny, smelled good though, and it was better in a couple of days.

5. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Thanks guys the cream seems to be working and have taken a couple of day off as feel pretty crap.

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Abriva works good, I just went through a week of battle with a 3 alarm dusie....

It was funny playing way off to the side.... Well, trying to play would be more accurate..

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Cold sores are either herpes or aphthous ulcers. Herpes is usually on the outside of the mouth on the lips, or in the mouth on the hard palette. Aphthous ulcers are usually on the soft tissue in the mouth, including the tongue.

If it's herpes, then Zovirax (which you are using) and Abreva (which was suggested) are two anti-virals which can shorten the course of the lesion.

If it's a herpes cold sore OR a aphthous ulcer, then an astringent (a drying agent) will help shorted the course of the lesion. The most commonly used astringent is witch hazel, which should only be used externally. Blistex Medicated (also suggested) may help, since some of its ingredients may have astringent properties.

8. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    In my experience I've learned that it is better to take a few days off the horn to let the lip heal. My experience:

1) It is very painful to play and I seldom get the kind of musical result I would like to hear,
    2) Sometimes the sore spreads to other parts of the lip via the mouthpiece,
    3) Because I played with too much pressure, it generally added more strain to the lips (getting better at reducing pressure),
    4)I've had a few scars remain for extended periods. Right now there is a small scar from a cold sore I had back in July. That episode came up my first day of a three-day rehearsal and performance with the horn-line for a singing competition (Calypso/Soca). It was soooooo painful by the evening of the gig. For that week I had to ice my lips every night cause they were swollen,
    5) As with most other things in the body, if it is unwell, it should simply be given time to heal and thus reduces healing time. The more I play on it, the more agitated the area gets and the longer it takes to heal.

So, for me, if I can avoid playing during a cold sore, I put the horn away!

9. yassine

yassine New Friend

Feb 24, 2017
    Ice may not reduce the duration of a breakout, but it can ease the discomfort and inflammation of cold sores. Apply a cold pack directly to the sores for temporary relief.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I had one erupt yesterday in the corner of my mouth. Abreva does a nice job on them for me, and yes, they seem to occur when I am run down from doing too much.