cold tuning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by miketheswine, Feb 6, 2009.

1. miketheswine

miketheswine New Friend

Sep 22, 2006
    scarborough. uk
    why does a trumpet go flat when cold?

2. thebuilder38

thebuilder38 New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    perhaps I don't know

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. miketheswine

miketheswine New Friend

Sep 22, 2006
    scarborough. uk
    shortening the horn should make it go sharp.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    cold temperatures causes the metal to contract which affects intonation , humidity also will affect intonation.

5. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Because the speed of sound in air is a function of temperature.

6. miketheswine

miketheswine New Friend

Sep 22, 2006
    scarborough. uk
    that makes sense. thanks govtmodel.

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
  8. trumpbuddy

trumpbuddy New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    south carolina
    I`m new to this site so I`m not sure what I`m doing. I wanted to find out why an Olds Ambassador-1973 had external springs on the valves. They weren`t inside like the ones I`ve seen before.

9. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Go back and click "Forums" in the yellow bar. Click into "Vintage Trumpets/ Cornets".
    Hit "post new thread" enter a head line, the type away in the big box.
    have fun!

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    In addition to all of the above responces I would ask you if you have ever tried to write your name while freezeing cold? I would guess that you hand writeing skills went south! Same thing goes for your lips and playing hand. They do not like being cold anymore then the rest of you. Your posture and embochure all change with your mood and tempature as well. I was amazed at how well those musicians played outside the Capital for the inaguration. The woman playing the piano had on what I used to call wino gloves ie gloves with fingers cut off. To play so good in such weather was amazeing. This is why we always try to warm our instrument s before a show and at the very least sometimes stick your mouthpiece under your arm to keep it warm waiting to go on. This is why Ivory,Glass and later plastics have been used by those that play outside like marching band people in cold climates.

ANother good example of how the body does not like cold. Sit on a cold bleacher watching a game. Then when it is time to get more drinks jump upand jump down to the ground instead of takeing all the steeps. Chances are good that you got all kinds of tingling not so good feelings running up your leg from something that when warm you wouldnot even think twice about doing. All of your connective tissue though is now cold. So everything just about in nature no matter if made by nature or made by man contracts in the cold and behaves differently!