Cold weather evils

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by latinjazzcat, Nov 7, 2004.

1. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    After some frustrating experiences throughout marching season, I thought I'd see if anyone else has found any methods to help cope with the problems associated with cold weather and brass playing. At least I only have one more season of this crap left :twisted:

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Umm... you are being forced to be in marching band either directly or indirectly though some "prerequisite" programs? Or you really enjoy marching band and are just trying to figure out how to accomodate the weather?

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Carmex (or DCT, take your pick), and a scarf. Keep your lips carmexed up, and keep the facial muscles warm with the scarf. When it's time to play, remove said scarf, and if you don't like playing with carmex on (I personally hate it) then wipe your lips with the scarf. Survived multiple cold weather gigs like that.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    hey good topic... am I just weird or does anyone notice an increase in their useable range when in cold weather? We just had snow here a few days ago, of course it's all melted now being in TX, but man my lips were feelin' good and I was on fire on the axe... and to tie things into this thread, yeah DCT rocks for cold weather.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    careful with Carmex, it has camphor in it.

i have always heard that camphor damages nerves.

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I've heard that too, but I've used it for my chops for years and have never really seen any "side effects". Maybe if I used it every single day I might see something, but I only use it when my lips are pretty chapped.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Here is my take on it. Cold temps tighten the muscles and in some instances can allow you to play a bit higher than normal. If you want an experiment, put an ice cube on your face for a few seconds and then play and you will see what effect they have on you. I have found the best way to battle the cold with respect to wind burn, or drying of the lips, is to drink a lot of water and use a lip mosturizer. I read somewhere about Neutrogena Lip Mosturizer and started to use it and fell in love. I won´t use anything else. It is a bit more expensive but excellent. The water part is to hydrate yourself from the inside out. Make sure you drink enough water so that your pee is white. Also vitamins can help make the your skin cells stronger, so take a multi-vitamin. Lip Mosturizer, lots of water, and vitamins. That is what I do.

Ben

8. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Tootsall- I'm a high school student, and I'm fairly certain that most high schools in the area have a class for "band", which, in the fall, is marching oriented (we usually compete at shows on weekends). After the season ends, things gear up for concert band. I like to consider myself a serious student, so sometimes the negative effects on my playing frustrate me. However, it's far worth it as I haven't done any major damage (mostly just lost practice time during trips), and to be eligible for the all-state ensembles, you have to be a member of the band. Not to mention there aren't many venues to gain experience doing "legit" playing outside of a few honor bands that take place throughout the region. Hope that clears things up.

It's interesting some people mention experiencing increased range. I notice the exact opposite. In cold weather I can barely get my lips to vibrate, and have next to no range. I'll have to give the DCT a try to deal with chapping. Thanks for the replies.

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    $18 -- Kelly Lexan Mouthpiece!

I have about 10 outdoor gigs at Christmas time. I never go without my Kelly Mouthpiece (since I sell them I have several, red and green at Christmas, Glow-in-the-Dark for nighttime). Makes a world of difference.

I also like Chops TIC. Good stuff and is made for trumpet playing by a trumpet player.

Jim