cold weather

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I've noticed that with recent cold spell my endurance has dropped off some. I'm drinking plenty of water and use chap stick but when playing my chops feel stiffer than normal and I am losing some endurance. Practice time about the same as usual just wondering is it normal to notice changes with the cold. Almost forgot I am out of doors for about 8 hrs straight 2 days a week and I notice the change more on the days I'm out side and the day after.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We have had our share of the cold stuff recently here in Indiana, haven't we Dave? So far this morning, I've only looked outside through the windows as snow drifts grow taller. My elderly mother called a short time ago and described 6' drifts across her driveway. Guess whose responsibility that will become? I haven't noticed much change in my endurance with the cold. You seem to be doing all the right things. Have you recently started some new exercises or music that might be impacting your endurance?
    Jim

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cold hasn't been a playing issue; my chops were just fine, even though the entire rest of my body can be entirely miserable. I use a dry embouchure, which makes high-humidity, hot days miserable for my chops, event the though the rest of my body is loving it.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Extreme cold weather always sucks the energy from me, both mentally and physically. That's bound to affect my playing a bit.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We should NEVER forget that much of our lifes energy comes from the sun.

The cold time of year affects me most when there are no sunny days. A sunny winter day can be very invigorating - even for my trumpet playing.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've had to resort to Chap-Stick when outside to prevent chapping. Cleared the drive this morning with about 6" on it, tiring. As I'm typing, we've got a squall going here, just as I was considering going out and clearing the plowed in end of the drive. Guess I'll wait this out a bit. Want to get it cleared before the real low temps start after tomorrow:roll::dontknow::oops:

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I basically agree with Vulgano, but maybe you need to spend a little more time warming up if the cold affects you that way. You might also think about working on some lip flexibility studies to help loosen things up.

8. AK-tpt

AK-tpt New Friend

Sep 6, 2012
    Here in Alaska we take lots of Vitamin D3. We don't play outside much in the winter...

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    One of my wife's favorite movies, which we watched recently, is Disney's 1960 or so Pollyanna, with Haley Mills. In it she plays the "Glad Game" - I know, way too corny! But I will say this; so far this winter I'm really glad I bought a new snow thrower!:D If I had had to shovel all of the white stuff we have received here in northeast Indiana so far this winter, I'd have little endurance for trumpet, or much of anything else!
    Jim