Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, Apr 10, 2010.

1. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you. This gives me another view of how to use this book. Playing just the begining exercises in Volume 1 has had some benefit. I will now look at the other Volumes.

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I too have the "complete" 3 volume book. I really like the first exercises in each volume as warm-ups, and play them no matter what I'm practicing that day. If you read and at least partially understand the text at the beginning of the book it will be a good tool. But it's not meant to take the place of your Arban's, for instance. And nothing can take the place of a one-on-one lesson with a good teacher.

3. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you. I have studied with many teachers, in fact, I just finished studying with a former lead player from Vegas. Everybody has a different view and you just have to pick what suits you and your goals. I truly appreciate your wise council. You have some nice instruments you must be a very busy player. I probably should study with you!
    Peace and many great gigs.

4. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I play out of this book daily- it's been an important part of my practice routine for a long time, and I have my students play out of it as well. I feel it provides a good foundation for general range improvement and endurance. The key to me is to do it daily and consistently, and to be patient- it takes a little while to get the full benefit if the exercises. Good luck with it!

5. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Bill,
    Thank you so much. This is good information!! You play on some nice horns.
    Peace, good health, happiness, and thousands of good paying gigs.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is actually very simple. Yes, you do wake up one day and realize that getting a teacher to help you through the basics is actually very smart. An objective opinion, a paced approach to learning and all balanced by a bunch of stuff that you do not know - yet.

Years later, you wake up and have a solid base and can determine what you have time for and what gives results for that amount of time.

The player ALWAYS has to do the work. The teacher can focus the stuff to play based on the needs of the player. They can explain why and how. There is plenty of ink that will waste your face if you don't know what you are doing. The Colin book is exactly that.

The Colin book is designed for use with a serious teacher with the knowledge of which exercize applies to your situation now - for the former. After a couple of years of instruction, it also applies - to the latter. At that time, you do not ask the question that the thread owner did.

There seems to be a lot of pride in big libraries here at TM. It ain't the books. It is the intelligent use of them. Less can often be much more!

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Remember, its called Lip Flexibilities. The idea is to get your lip slurring down.
    When you play, go slow and be sure you maintain a good sound. Not sloppy or strained sounding. Record yourself and listen to it every week.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    There seems to be a lot of pride in big libraries here at TM. It ain't the books. It is the intelligent use of them. Less can often be much more!
    ----------------
    I thought less is less and more is more. I need a bigger libra...liba........lybar....more books.

9. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Markie,
    Thank you for the good advice. I will watch my speed and listen to my sound as I work on these studies.
    I am very grateful for the excellent guidance from the members of TM - my trumpet family.