College audition piece help?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smcquaid, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    So I have my college auditions in roughly 5 months, the requirements for all my schools say 1 slow/ lyrical piece and 1 fast/technical piece.

So far all I know is that I want to do the 2nd movement of the haydn for the lyrical. however, now i am having trouble finding a techincal piece to do that is managable. I have an alright rep but I need to expand it still, please help me out!!

thanks,
    sean

o and also if needed I can list the pieces i have under my belt already, once again thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Unless you are getting lessons during the summer, you should ONLY play stuff that you have under your belt now. Pick one of the more technical pieces and go for it. If you have never played anything technical, and don't have a suggestion from your local teacher that knows your playing, how can we help?

I don't understand why, if something is important, that the local TEACHER doesn't have this sewn up before school lets out. I mean, come on. Don't we want to ace the audition?

My advice is to ask your teacher what you should do. They know how fast you can double and triple tongue, what scales you have mastered and what further techniques are usable. We can post all sorts of stuff which will be of no use without knowing how you really play.

Impressive technical: Goedicke Concert Etude. If your tonguing isn't really together, forget it.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Sean,
    One way to get the feel of things and get it under your belt is to listen to recordings of the song. If memory serves me correctly, Alison Balsom does this song. Do your best to emulate her. The basic twist here is, if you can't "REALLY" hear it, you can't play it.

4. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    I am currently working on Handel's Adagio and Allegro from Sonata in E for a wind symphony audition. It has a great lyrical and technical section in it. It is rated at 5 and is very manageable provided you get the style of the piece right. To me the style is the hardest part of the piece. Good Luck!

5. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    thanks for the great advice guys!!

I currently have the following pieces under my belt:
    1st of hindemith
    1st of hummel
    1st of haydn
    1st and 3rd of kennan
    the arutunian (for the most part)
    goedicke concert etude

6. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    i also am in fact having private lessons during the summer, my teacher and i are trying to figure out a decent audition selection tho hence why I really need some help from experienced players such as yourselves