college audition recordings!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clarkvinmazz, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B75L7t0Neg0OSmlzX2E4d0xXOUE/view?usp=sharing

well as i get ready to record prescreening reccordings, i thought i might as well get as many opinions as i can! this is the first section of Charlier 2 so most people should at least have an idea of how it goes. keep in mind this was recorded in my living room with my phone, so its not the best quality and sounds like im playing a little louder than i really am. ill upload a couple more things later. enjoy!

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  3. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Hmmm.... for me it goes right to it....Ill see what I can do.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm having the same problem as J. Jericho. Can you post on Soundcloud or YouTube?

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I thought you sounded solid. It's not a great recording - it sounds muffled throughout and at one point it clips (sounds overdriven) a bit, but dude, you sound better than a lot of the guys I've gigged with. My only criticism, if I had one, would be to find a better means to record.

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm getting a pro reccording done for my actual auditions but I record myself when I practice on my phone just because its easy and for what I want to get out of it, it works fine.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't know what colleges you plan to audition for - if you are looking to get into a conservatory program things may be different, but based on what I heard, just about any normal college music program should be glad to get you, and you won't have any issues gaining acceptance.

8. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    Very nice! My only thought would be regarding time. In the opening section I think it is fine to be a little fluid with tempo but I would still try to stay within time, not adding extra beats. The later section is more like a cadenza and I think it is is more acceptable to add pauses. Someone with good time is hard to come by so you will stand out at an audition if you have it. Just my thought, the piece is certainly open to different interpretations so is just my opinion.

9. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I'm applying to baldwin wallace, oberlin, NEC, temple, Rice, and juilliard.