College Auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Hello everyone. I have several college auditions coming up, and I am really not secure about them. The pieces I am playing are not very hard, but my lips just do something weird when I am overly nervous. I don't know what to do about it. For example, I played a solo with the band for our Christmas concert over the weekend. It was not a hard solo, and I just had to get up in front to play it. It seemed like no big deal. But, my lips felt like they just had no strength in them whatsoever. I did ok on the solo, but I could tell that wouldn't cut it in a college audition. This "weirdness" has sort of motivated me, and I really want to practice a lot so that when the auditions do come around, I have just played my pieces so many times that it will be hard to mess up. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I appreciate it.

Jazz9

2. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Nervousness (resulting in the symptoms you experience) is typically recognized by a competent audition coordinator. Not only is it expected during an audition, but often times it's actually appreciated by the individual auditioning you. Because it sends an obvious message that this particular audition is very important to you.

There's not a darn thing wrong with expressing your apprehensions to the coordinator right up front. Be forthcoming about this, and essentially explain to him/her exactly what you just described to us above. An audition coordinator will not only take that into account, but will likely see beyond your nervousness for the talent that you have. And, it sounds like talent is something you probably already have.

Best of luck to you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Listen to Steve B. We've all been there. the best preparation is to be as well prepared as possible. But be smart about it. take time to rest. take time to play for the fun of it. you don't want to burn yourself out in the process.

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Maybe try playing in front of as many people as you can until then? You might get used to it a little bit more. Play in front of keen ears, and play hard stuff. You could work on getting the nervousness out of your system. Maybe you already perform a lot and know it isn't going to get better though.

EDIT: Keen ears as in people who will definitely notice your mistakes. Someone who intimidates you with their listening ability.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    When ever I had to play in front of people my lips would tremble. I used to (still, a little) never be able to play for people without being very nervous. What I did was play on the street. I got comfortable playing to others. I was then able to play in church.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I wouldn't announce to the panel that you're nervous. It sounds like you're trying to make excuses before you even play. After you're done though, if they ask, go ahead and admit to being nervous if you want. People who know what they're listening for can usually tell the difference between nervousness and lack of ability or preperation.

Try to simulate the audition. You'll warm up, then you might have to wait around in a hallway for a few minutes before you play, so do this at home. Wear what you'll wear at the audition, warm up, wait around, and then play it down (in front of friends or family, if possible). Part of succeeding in auditions it to learn that you can still play your best even in a different room, in front of strangers, feeling nervous, etc.

7. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Wow, thanks everyone. The most everyone said was to play in front of people. I'll definitely give that a try, but as far as keen listeners are concerned, there are few. I don't like my band director AT ALL, and my new trumpet teacher still doesn't really know how I play. If you know what I mean. And I really do not perform a lot. I perform very little actually. My town would much rather hear an acoustic guitar solo or something along those lines. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it just limits a trumpet player's performance opportunities. Again, thank you so much for the advice everyone. I'm really excited to begin and get this new stage in my life going.

8. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    Just practice the pieces on your front lawn with cars and people walking by or something.

Unless it's cold where you live. :p

9. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Haha, that's a funny thought. I'd be playing to the cows. There are probably about 5 cars that come down my road per day, and I'm being completely honest. It does have a really cool echo though. And it can get cold. But not as cold as some places.

10. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. Except there's half a foot of snow on the ground. I'll be practicing on my porch in the summer though.