College Ed. Departments

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Heavens2kadonka, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Since theres a few music teachers and/or music ed. majors lurking about here, I felt like venting a bit about the education department at my college, and I was also wanting to see if anyone else have or have had these problems.

1: Every education class seems more like an effort to take all of your money. The 201 class book, costs $100, plus the separate CD, which was 50 (Never opened it, its sitting on my dresser STILL) AN INTRODUCTION COURSE COSTS MORE THAN A LAB!!! AN INTRO CLASS BOOK COSTS MORE THAN A SCIENCE BOOK!!! :x

2: Part of the requirements for passing the course was I had to become a member of STEA. I dont think its fair, forcing people to join an organization to pass a class. Plus, it was 40 bucks I could have spent on trumpets...

3: (For people presently in music ed.) LIVETEXT, another required program you had to own, is pure garbage. PLUS, it is 70 bucks. I'VE USED IT ONCE TO DATE!!!

4: My STEA is worthless. I've went to one meeting to date, because all the meetings before were scheduled during band events. Its a bunch of girls fighting over meaningless positions. Like high school class president.

I've been told the other two education courses I have to take, technology in the classroom, and charts and graphs, will cost EVEN MORE. Its ridiculous. The education department is just grubbing around for all the cash I have.

Oh, and I forgot the big PRAXIS II, that'll probably cost an arm and a leg to take. ARRRGGHHH!

Maybe I should have majored in basket weaving. ;-)

Van

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    hmmm...

The only gripe I have is that for the past two years, every class I've taken has been EXACTLY like the previous "prerequisite"... And no, these classes don't go into more detail, they are EXACTLY the same. lol. But it'll be worth it when I get that piece of paper and a real job. The books and CD's do costs a buttload though, that's why college people are so poor. lol.

3. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    You should transfer to where I'm at, we're pretty well-known for our edcation program :D

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    All I can say is, Ed. majors aren't alone. I think colleges just like ripping us off. I have had to learn two mathematical computer programs, and the only reason is because A&M held the license to the software and said we had to learn it. You never use them ever again after you leave here from what I've been told from some grads.

Oh, and here's my personal favorite. There are 2 physics courses in underlevel engineering that you have to take, 218 and 208, in that order. Well, when I first got here, I took 218 (twice ;-) ) and we were using one book system, where 218 was Volume 1, and 208 was volume 2. There were so many books that you could get them used really easily. My roommate has both, I just have 218. Anyway, at the start of this semester, I go to the bookstore to get my books, one of which being physics 208 (finally), and what do I see? We've just implemented a whole new physics book system. The kicker? Those like me who just needed 208's version, nope, sorry, you have to buy THE WHOLE PACKAGE. It gets worse. One of the guys taking 208 for the second time around compared the old with the new. He said he found TWO differences: The new one said "Custom made for Texas A&M University", and the chapters were numbered differently. THAT WAS IT! Needless to say, there's been a lot of "unfriendly" letters going to the physics department recently.

5. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    This has been one of my big rants too. I just graduated with a BM in Music Ed and I am glad to be done with that part. I will spare everyone fromt he detail but I don't think a lot of things were done well to prepare us for teaching. I just got lucky that I've worked with some GREAT teachers in the field along with having the best supervisors for my student teaching. I was really frustrated with it and definately glad to be done but trust me, you are not the only one:)
    Adam Metzler

6. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Eh...I'm not looking forward to college now....

How the heck am I going to pay for it???

Lara

7. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004

There is so many scholarship stuff out there. All you have to do is ask for it. Plus it helps if you are a minority. :oops: :D

8. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    I've already applied for some scholarships. I guess I don't want to put all my hope on scholarships.

I'm not a minority either.

Hmm...I need a job.
    Lara

9. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    Lara, couldn't you suddenly become black or asian? :lol:

10. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, and change into a guy...then I could be the exact opposite of Micheal Jackson!

*shudder* :think: :noway:

No, I think I'll just have to get a job...and a car....

Lara