College Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetKid_93, Jun 6, 2011.

1. TrumpetKid_93

TrumpetKid_93 New Friend

Mar 15, 2010
    Hello I need a college trumpet that will allow me to play high longer. Something that won't kill my chops. Alot of you old heads say its not the horn its the player. While I know this to be true, I know it to not always be the case. Just know I'm a well read educated musician. I have a conn victor 22b from 1958. I can push out a good amount of air through the horn creating a full sound, but it takes so much air. I'm assuming this is because of the leadpipe being about .498. When I play my strad I don't have to work nearly as hard to create the same sound and endurance in the upper reg. is much better. I want a good marching horn similar to my strad. What I'm basically trying to ask is, does anyone know of a horn that will provide what I need?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If you are truly a well read educated musician you wouldn't be asking this question here - you would already know which direction to go and what horns to consider. You are only 17/18 after all - how much exposure could you have had since you decided to get serious about the horn in the last couple of years.

Is there anything wrong with just using your Strad? It seems to me that thousands and thousands of people over the last bunch of decades seem to think it's good enough for a college horn, so why not you? A lot of people like the 43 bell Strad as a lead horn, i.e., they play it higher and longer.

And yes, it's the player, not the horn - as long as the horn is decent, and I have every reason to believe your Strad is decent - then the issues you are facing are mostly yours alone to fix through dedicated, focused practice.

I also noticed that you have a thumbs down next to the 14A4a - any particular reason why? It seemed to be just what the doctor ordered for Forrest Buchtel, and he seemed to do ok playing lead on it.

These are just my opinions and observations, of course.

3. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    Is this a typo, did you mean marching? Are you saying you want a horn that plays as well as your Strad so you don't damage your primary instrument while marching?

4. TrumpetKid_93

TrumpetKid_93 New Friend

Mar 15, 2010
    Like you said all your statements were in fact opinion. I never said my Stradivarius wasn't good enough to be used for college. Maybe your under the impression of something else. I should clarified this obviously your head is somewhere else. College band meaning MARCHING BAND everyone. There is no way in hell I'm marching with that horn on the field.

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hi Trumpet Kid, I have a nice Yamaha 4320ST (silver) that will work for you nicely if you're interested?

AC

6. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Whats wrong with using your Yamaha 2335 with the 14a4a mouthpiece? The Yammie is certainly a decent horn, even though its a "student" model, and the 14a4a is one of the easiest mouthpieces out there for high register, it practically plays itself.

Or if you want another Bach, look for a TR300 or 500, depending on how much you want to spend.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    For marching band??
    An Olds Ambassador, An old Conn (16B, 17B, 18B) +1 for coprion bell, or a Yammy 2320 or2335.

Try a 15A4A, with the throat opened up a pinch. It's a little bigger but still a v-cup.

My initial instinct was to reply that practice is what will make you play higher longer... not equipment... but playing high & loud with your concert band equipment is just going to beat you up and force you to use too much pressure. A stepped bore horn (6310Z or 8310Z) or maybe a small bore with a big bell (Connstellation 28B 36B) may be good equipment for this style of playing.

When I was in college I only had one horn... an Elkhart Model 37 Strad and I used it in Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Jazz Orchestra, Basketball Band, everything!! I switched between a 13A4A & a 1-1/2C. I always was a lead player though... never had a great orchestral sound.

8. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
  9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Particularly if someone responds to your eBay add and buys it before marching season?

Are you really looking for a new horn or are you just trolling?

10. TrumpetKid_93

TrumpetKid_93 New Friend

Mar 15, 2010

What does this have to do with anything. If you're not contributing to the convo just leave.