College Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetKid_93, Jun 6, 2011.

1. TrumpetKid_93

TrumpetKid_93 New Friend

Mar 15, 2010
    Smh you play on a conn 22b. The little bore size is the problem. I can play a 3 hour gig on my strad then turn around and play another 3 hours in a marching band practice. I play lead as well as first trumpet therefore I have pretty decent range. What I'm saying is when I go to play my conn in marching band by the time I'm through with a 40min warm up, I can already feel fatigue setting in. I a horn where I dont have to work as hard to facilitate the upper reg. and play with volume. I'm going to a SWAC band. If you guys aren't familiar with that here's a clip.

YouTube - ‪Southern University 2005 "And then what"‬‏

2. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    So...what exactly are you wanting? A pro level trumpet or a student/intermediate horn? Old beater or new and shiny?

You mentioned that you want a horn that plays similar to your Strad, which indicates that you like it. So why on earth are you selling it?

3. TrumpetKid_93

TrumpetKid_93 New Friend

Mar 15, 2010
    I need something with a big sound, silver preferably, doesnt have to look good, but I don't want it to look bad. Umm...I can't keep the strad due to financial reasons right now if you must know. I will buying a new one when I can?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you already know the answer, what can we offer? Playing high longer and not killing chops is a function of YOUR playing, not your hardware. The diameter of a leadpipe has nothing to do with the amount of air being pushed through. As a matter of fact, no air has to flow at all with a trumpet. I glued a headphone speaker to a mouthpiece and got a fine sound. Air moving is LEAKAGE and can be fine tuned by matching the mouthpiece cup/throat and backbore to the horn. Bigger does not necessarily leak more.

I think that the problem on the field is that you do not hear yourself very well. The solution is a lighter trumpet with a thinner bell that leaks more energy in the direction of the player. Yamaha has a 6xxx Shew model and Bach has their lightweight instruments (like a 72*). The Benges that I have played were pretty "leaky" and some light Schilkes too.

Unfortunately, none of this is good for high notes - but you already have an answer for that!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 Robin's comment about hearing yourself !!!

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Edit - never mind. It's not even worth trying to talk to someone who already seems to have it all figured out.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA