College Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetKid_93, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    or be like me -- get a King Silver Flair, an Asymmetric 3C+544 mpc -- and practice, a lot, and then realize you still have to practice - a lot -- to get chops, and to keep them -- but that is merely my opinion.

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    The Schilke 15a4 is the bigger throat/backbore factory version of the 15a4a- and it really is a good outdoor lead mouthpiece. I actually use a 14a4 for parades (while I'm waiting for Austin Custom Brass to send me a custom lead piece that's right around a 18a4d).

The Dynasty M503 is a great outdoor marching horn. The Blue Devils DCI Drum Corps uses them. They were designed by Blue Devils Brass Caption Head, Wayne Downey. But please don't get the earlier M502, its a piece of crap- but, then again, that's what the guy in the Blue Devils clip was playing on, which makes that solo even more awesome.

Another good horn for marching would be the Besson (Kanstul) MEHA. I used one for marching band- the HUGE #5 bell projects like you wouldn't believe (in my opinion its superior to a Strad for outdoor sound, and even big band lead sound). And they also sell used for only around $600-$700.

But I don't understand why you have such an aversion to using your Strad on the field? Just be careful. I do outdoor shows and parades with my Xeno, and the rest of the trumpet line all use their Strads- one player even uses his Xeno NY Artist Model. I know some guys with Brass Bands and such that even use their Harrelsons. Again, they're just careful.

PS: I'd probably use my main horn, which is a fairly rare Connstellation 28b, outside too, but its lacquer brass and the line I'm in wants to be uniform in silver. Again, I am just really careful- beware wayward colorguard equipment!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Kingtrumpet,
    Gotta love all of your advice. The Silver Flair recommendation is classic..:play::thumbsup::play:

Trumpet Kid,
    Get yourself and older Ambassador that looks good or even an Olds Special. Those are tanks and will scream in the upper register. As for fatigue in the chops. I really dont know what to tell you other than master the horn you play and stick to it. Then, when it has taken the best of what you have put forth. Go out and try as many horns as you can and then decide what your best options are. Plus, you will save $$ and become a better player having mastered the tool of your trade. Most trumpet greats only played one instrument most of their careers with some added specialties when getting paid to play a certain brand and model horn. If you are looking for a horn that can do it all for you, good luck and let us all know what horn that is...:-)

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    In high school I marched with my Olds Recording. In college I marched with my Strad (72MLV)--every scholarship player marched with their Strad because that is what we were all expected to play. Life is to short to play inferior instruments because you're scared of dings. I had more damage done during rehearsal than I ever did marching.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    What's your price range?

Since it now turns out you have to sell the Strad should we assume that you're looking for something cheap?

You posted on an open forum kid. Don't get sensitive when people are looking for information...

6. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry, I missed the post that you have to sell your Strad...I would strongly suggest a Besson (Kanstul) MEHA. When I was a kid I actually traded a Strad I picked up with my brother for his MEHA. Its a good horn, that will come at a fairly good price.

The M503's are also in the $900 range new (Amazon actual has them new for $830 and Taylor music for $815). Drum Corps legend, Donny Allen uses the M503 as his everyday horn!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I would suggest an Olds Ambassador, Special or Super. They can be had for $150, $400, $800 and round abouts, repectively. Most are in lacquer -you may fiond a Super in silver every so often. They have great projection and play well up high. My own son who has a Strad, uses an Ambassador on the field and he cuts through all the other yammis, kings, a few strads, and what not. I can spot him by sound with my eyes closed.

If you want more expensive, look for a Kanstul Chicago (1000 or 1001). Great horns for the high register.

8. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow, so many Olds players... Yikes...

I think it is what Rowuk is suggesting, your hearing yourself. I have found my Conns to not telegraph or 'leak' very well. It's hard to make that leap of faith.. Are my lips doing what my ears can't verify for me?

But back to the horn... I played a Benge 3x+ all thru college. Lead in Marching, WE, BB Pep, etc.. It was a little tight, but I think that helped out my endurance.

Also, dump the 14a4a. It is NOT a marching piece. 3c or larger (17-18). Yes I am from that school of thought. All our lead players used big pieces and we had an awesome sound. Very free blowing.

I am not a pro player, but spent alot of time in HS and College playing.. Just my 2 cents.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's because Olds players are survivors. Players of some other horns, let's see... like the King... well, they become hypoxic and sadly, just don't make it out to the golden years like us Olds players.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    So who is at fault? Did you fail to clarify, or did he fail to pick up on it because his head was somewhere else?

Why come here with a chip on your shoulder? If you want help with an issue you are much more liable to get it by being respectful of others - more flies with honey than vinegar, they say.

Your Conn 22B Victor is a #1 small bore horn - .438 to be accurate. When you try to play it loud enough to be heard on the field, you end up overblowing against the natural resistance of that horn's design, and that will wear you out quciker than anything.

I am with the others. Play your Yammie on the field. I have played a few of those and they always seemed quite easy up high. With the Schilke mouthpiece you should be OK, but sometimes it is hard to get a good horn/mouthpiece match and you might want to try the paper trick (look it up at the Bob Reeves website) to increase the gap a little bit.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011